Forum home Wildlife gardening

Planting for Wildlife - To Keep or Replace (ID needed!)

hi all 

I am in the process of developing our garden to be as wildlife friendly as possible. One side of the garden is full of Hawthorn (so perfect) and I've begun planting pollinating plants in place of old grass and put the feeders out etc. 

Where I'm struggling slightly is with our north facing border. It has some well established plants in from yesteryear some of which dominate large areas.  I have no great desire to remove them, but to my untrained eye they look more ornamental then native wildlife friendly plants.  If that is the case then I'd rather use the limited space we have in a better way. I don't see bees and insects paying them much attention. 

Is anyone able to offer any thoughts on the relative benefits of these plants (and help ID them) to help me make a decision on whether it might be better  to replace with more beneficial planting, wildflowers etc. and effectively start over? 

Any guidance much appreciated 

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,999
     Okay, my answers for the first three - The first is pieris, second cotoneaster (horizontalis l think), and third is a spirea.
    The pieris provides nectar and pollen. The cotoneaster has berries for birds. I think spirea is good for insects but not sure .
  • ForTheBeesForTheBees Posts: 168
    I think number 5 is a berberris. Looks like Berberis thunbergii f. atropurpurea'Helmond Pillar' I recently planted.
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Cracking shrubs mate 👍👍
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,498
    Keep them all - they are super!
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,505
    The last two are a camellia on the left (early flowering good for bees) and a laurel I think. The bush with white flowers is a pieris (again flowering about now, so bee good). They'll all be good for providing hiding places for small birds and/or nesting. I agreed with AnniD on the first one but photo 3 has me stumped.  On 2nd thought, photo 2 might possibly be an escallonia ?
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,999
    I think you may be right @Lizzie27, l should have looked more carefully ! 😊