Forum home Plants

Grass ID

Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713
This grass has been sown in our field - what is it called?  I really like the look of it and it's movement in the breeze.

• lizzie02lizzie02 Posts: 7
    It looks like barley not grass.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,951
    Looks more like oats. Barley is tight up the stem. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,506
    edited May 2019
    Not barley or oats. 😊 

Looks to me like one of the fescue grasses ... possibly Meadow fescue (Fescue pratensis) or one of the hybrids. Often sown for grazing or hay meadows. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    edited May 2019
    Some sort of grass as Dove says.
    This site has some good photos you may be able to match .
    https://www.naturespot.org.uk/taxonomy/term/19680
    It does look nice, I can see how the heads would look good in a breeze, free to look, no maintenance, and pretty too :)

• AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 567
    I agree with Dovefromabove - probably Festuca pratensis.
    East Anglia
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713
    Thank you all for giving me names and the link Rubytoo, looking at the link there were some grasses there that reminded me of my childhood - we used to play in the fields near here - where cows often grazed.
    I looked at the list of plants and grasses that was given to us when the field was turned into a wild flower/grass meadow and it includes Cocksfoot, Hard Fescue, Rough stalked Meadow Grass, Slender creeping red fescue, smooth stalked meadow Grass, Tall Fescue and Timothy, so quite a selection, and I also now think this could be a fescue. The idea is to attract a wider variety of wildlife to the field.