What's the most you'd ever pay for a plant?

B3B3 Posts: 9,739
Excluding trees
For me, the pips squeak at about £7.50 but I did buy a rose once.....

What's the most you'd ever pay for a plant? 56 votes

£3
0%
£5
5%
CheyngelEustacelemon22 3 votes
£7.50
0%
£10
8%
DovefromabovepansyfaceAnna33purplerallimwild edges 5 votes
£20
21%
Lizzie27lilysillyInglezinhomadpenguinWillDBrobertemasonoooftSuesynMr. Vine EyeJellyfireJackie 119BirminghamMarc1972 12 votes
More
64%
ObelixxhogweedPam’s PasturesBee witchedpunkdocCebefidgetbonesTopbirdKT53PerkiSinging GardenerMMflowerLiriodendronMyosotis23LG_John36TinyGardenGIrlBright starraisingirlSkandi 36 votes
In London. Keen but lazy.

• Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 341
    £20
    Generally speaking - I've been going for ones sub £2 or seed packets for 50p. A magnolia for £5.99 from B&M felt like splashing out.

But I have bought several David Austin roses this year...
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,755
    More
    Daft question really.   Very easy for a Japanese maple to cost more than £20 and I've seen people selling brand new/esoteric/hard to find hemerocallis for over 100€ in a Belgian plant fair and fancy hydrangeas for similar sums.

Gone are the days when I would happily fork out premium prices for special plants.  These days I tend to buy cheaper plants that are known to be good doers - all too often the specials turn out to be wussy or fussy and didn't cope with my extreme Belgian winters and wouldn't cope with the droughts here. 

Nor do I buy in 3s, 5s and 7s any more unless they're very cheap.  Now I buy one good one and grow it on and then divide or take cuttings.   Takes longer but that's OK.  More satisfying.   Garden club plant swaps are another good source of free plants.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • GraemeCGraemeC Posts: 47
    More
    If I saw a plant that I had to have I would probably end up spending wae more than it was worth but, what's a few extra quid against years of pleasure from it?
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,910
    More
    more.
    You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,705
    £10
    I very rarely buy anything other than trees. I did buy a few things like Hebes and other shrubby things when we first came here. I seem to remember seeing them for sale this year at about £9.99. 

Shrubs last a long time so I think that they are worth it.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,498
    More
    I don't by expensive rare plants, but I have bought quite a few trees and still need to buy more. I have bought whips for under £2 each and I have grown a few from seed and from cuttings. But I will pay £30 or so for a nice tree, if something catches my eye.
    It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,056
    £10
    Budgets are tight right now but I'll spend a bit on something really nice, especially if I know I can get cuttings from it. £10 is probably my maximum though for a non-tree, non-fruit plant and even then I'd have to think quite hard about it.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,704
    More
    I have quite a few DA roses. Some were bought bare root so less than £20 but quite a few were pot grown and they cost more. A couple of choice shrubs have also tipped over. 
    Perennials are usually less than £10.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 593
    edited 30 April
    More
    Just today I went up to the garden center here and looked at walnut trees, they are the equivalent of £70 each. They're grafted so will fruit straight away but still that was a bit steep for me, however I will probably buy one this year, I settled on a fig for about £20 this trip. I think the most I have paid is somewhere around £50
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,458
    £10
    £10 is about tops for me for a perennial ... I would pay more for a shrub or something special and much more for a tree of course. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh