Self Watering Planters- An Accidental Experiment

I'm growing lettuce on the conservatory windowsill, primarily for the guinea pigs. I used one planter I already had, and treated myself to a self watering planter for the rest. I'm astonished at the difference in growth. The right hand ones were behind initially, but are now producing significantly more lettuce. Does anyone have tips for buying self watering planters, or converting existing ones? I have two planters yet to be drilled for drainage holes for some of the outside veg, as well of course as plenty of drilled ones.

• BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 605
    There could be a difference in the light hitting each pot, depending on how the sun is moving over your house, so the left side tub might be more shaded than the other.
    It's an interesting experiment and it'd be good to swap them over next time and see if the self-watering one is still performing better (it's not that surprising when you think about it).

I haven't used them before, so this isn't a tip but what I have done is create drip-feeders using old bottles with holes in the lids.  I find these work well pushed into the ground in my greenhouse and in larger pots, in my case to prevent tomato plants wilting.
  • Rose121Rose121 Posts: 132
    I've made some, with two pots of the same diameter, but different heights, and a wick. Put the wick in shorter planter, through holes in base. Sit inside taller planter (need one without holes), and you're done. PutP water in the outer planter and the inner will wick it up. Cheaper than buying if you want lots / specific sizes. Plantsava reservoirs also great for existing pots.