Garden Lighting

AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
edited 30 April in Garden design
I'm thinking about installing some garden lighting for evenings but not quite sure what I need. I  want the lighting effects to be quite strong on certain feature plants, mainly backlit so solar thingys will not be good, needs to be mains driven. Help? 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,455
    If it is outside, make sure if it is mains it is installed by a competent qualified electrician. The  outside power points have to be waterproof.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,914
    Low voltage lighting would be the way to go. The only problem with installing permanent lighting in the garden is the need to dig trenches for the cables unless you run them through proper conduit which can be round through beds and borders. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,455
    Armoured cable a foot deep.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,604
    I'm doing the same @Achtung so will keep a keen eye on this thread.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
    I already have two external power points -
    MUST the cables be buried? I thought I could fly them from my balcony onto the boundary fence and down to the apple tree-
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 306
    Not necessarily buried but it has to be armoured cable...the domestic grade one is not safe enough to be used out of doors without extra protection. @Achtung
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159

I was rummaging around the garden planning where to site my lights and found this LED Spot mounted on the fence with the cable splitter left by the previous home owner. The lamp had no markings to identify it. The cable is two core and was easily cut with household scissors so not armoured. This is the kind of setup I'd like. Can anyone ID what it is? Thanks.