Forum home Problem solving

Cherry Tree not Flowering

Hi,

I dug up a small sapling growing next to a mature, healthy cherry about 3 or 4 years ago and transplanted it in my garden. It has grown well, looking healthy, strong and leafing up every Spring beautifully.

The only issue is that I have never seen one flower on it yet!

Anyone out there who might know what is going on? I've never even seen any flower buds on it so I cannot say they are being eaten by anything and I check it closely as soon as it comes out of the winter dormancy period.

Thank you

Terry

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,860
    It’s possibly a sucker from the rootstock which, while still being a cherry, is likely to be from a much larger and less ornamental type. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for that. So does that mean it will never flower? I think you're right about the sucker root stock. I'm sure the parent was in flower or I've seen it in flower which is why I dug it up and replanted. It was a larger shrub, you are right. Nearly as tall as the bungalow apex in the garden it is growing in.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,860
    It may flower, but probably not a lot, and possibly not until it reaches maturity which could be 5 - 6 metres tall. 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you very much for that information, really appreciate it.