Planting cabbages

SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 593
edited 29 April in Fruit & veg
I was planting my red cabbages out today and as I firmed them in well I started wondering, WHY do you have to firm the cabbage family in? No one says ram that lettuce into the soil so why is it important with cabbages?
We didn't at work, the same machine was used for everything, and it certainly wasn't "firmed in"

• BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 605
    I'd always assumed it's because they get quite heavy so firm soil prevents movement and therefore (root) damage.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,173
    That was my assumption too, Bob, a full grown cabbage head is pretty weighty and broccoli grow very tall. Commercially, are they grown closer together so support each other, perhaps?
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 593
    40cm apart so no not close, maybe losses are acceptable on a field scale. I'm still firming mine in I just had a moment and thought.. why am I doing this?!
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 734
    I have tried to grow cauliflowers but have never managed to get nice tight white heads so was interested to hear Christine Walkden talking about growing cauliflowers on Gardeners Question Time, she swears the way to grow perfect caulis is to put the plants in with a hammer, yes she said that when she puts the plants in she compacts the soil with a hammer. I haven't tried it so can't say whether it works or not but as Christine said it works I am prepared to believe her.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 644
    I have difficulty in growing nice heads of caulis, even though they are firmly planted as all brassicas are.