Dramatic difference in wildflower meadow growth

1235»

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,324
    Yeay. You don't need a lawn!
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,053
    It looks amazing and well worth the effort and anticipation.  We are pleased with our wild flower patches too - they are buzzing with activity on this lovely sunny day.  Well done!
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
     I may have to encroach on the lawn with the wildflower patch a foot or so a year and hope no one notices.
    haha, thats my kind of thinking!

It looks brilliant Matt, and I bet there are all sorts of insects in there. In terms of managing it when you do cut it just leave the the trimmings there for a few days to let any seeds fall out before gathering it up. Unless you are sowing new seed there next year, Id also collect a decent amount of the poppy seed and store it to sow next year, as they dont come back on undisturbed soil very well (for me anwyay)
  • matt_fendermatt_fender Posts: 137
    Thanks all. @Jellyfire, self-seeding of the cornfield annuals is something I have been wondering about. I know that they are supposed to need disturbed soil, but what counts as "disturbed"? Could I rough up the area with a rake, say, in early autumn? I would love for the poppies and cornflowers to come back, but also part of this process is supposed to be them acting as "nursery cover" for the perennials that are also in the mix. In any case, it will be interesting to see it evolve. One thing I will say is that poppies and cornflowers had no trouble reseeding in our front garden last year, and I didn't really disturb that soil - although there is a lot more bare earth there.
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
    Not sure about the raking, but could work I guess, worth a try at least, the perennials are usually pretty robust so I doubt would do much harm.

I presume poppies need lots of light to germinate and a lack of competition to establish which is why they need cultivated soil, so I suppose it will depend on how much sward you have next spring.  

I absolutely love poppies so I'll be keeping a beady eye out for if you have any success
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 750
    Looks absolutely beautiful! Well done! 😀