Plant identification

Fred MeadFred Mead Posts: 65
Hi can someone tell me what this is please? 

Thanks 

Fred

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,068
    Centaurea montana. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ForTheBeesForTheBees Posts: 166
    I have it my garden. It's great for bumblebees and with deadheading it'll keep going until autumn. But it's also a very vigorous spreader. I'm always having to pull up side shoots or remove large chunks to keep it in check.

Lift and divide in the spring when it’s just starting into growth. Discard the central older portion and replant the newer growth. 

In late summer/autumn ours are covered with goldfinches tucking into the seeds.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Fred MeadFred Mead Posts: 65
    Thank you all. I can always rely on everyone on here.  :)

Fred
  • ForTheBeesForTheBees Posts: 166
    The only issue I have is they've all now grown too tall and collapsed forward, showing a bare centre at the back of the bed.  I must remember to lift & divide them.
    Yes I must do mine next year ... I should make a To Do ‘splitting list’ for next spring 🙄 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,274
    The only issue I have is they've all now grown too tall and collapsed forward, showing a bare centre at the back of the bed.  I must remember to lift & divide them.
    Are they shaded?  I once had some near a hedge, and they grew very long and straggly and flollopy in pursuit of light.