Forum home Problem solving

Bloodgold Acer- need advice

Hi, we planted a new acer last summer and it was going pretty strong. Following the garden centre advice, we put some shingles in the hole prior to planting the tree to allow for better drainage. This spring there are some small branches (or part of those) where there are no leaves. We have no bark under the tree and wonder whether we shall have some? Can we use any fertiliser to give it some support in establishing itself?

We also inherited another small acer in a pot from our neighbours and the leaves are not looking healthy- what can we do?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,211
    You will get branches which die, that is normal.
    Otherwise they look healthy to me.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • punkdoc said:
    You will get branches which die, that is normal.
    Otherwise they look healthy to me.
    Thank you for that. Shall we then get the branches with no leaves cut back now or just leave it the way it is?
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,970
    I would leave the branches for a few weeks more to be certain that no leaves will appear and the tree has "decided" to shed that branch. Then you can carefully prune it off.
    AB Still learning

• I would leave the branches for a few weeks more to be certain that no leaves will appear and the tree has "decided" to shed that branch. Then you can carefully prune it off.
    Thank you