Labelly

Very simple question... What pen do you use to label with? I have used a Sharpie (permanent) pen on plastic stick in the greenhouse and a week later it is blank!!! Monty seems to just use pencil. I have resorted to stick on printed labels (more plastic!) Seriously it can't  be that difficult! Any suggestions please? 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,643
    edited 28 April
    I use a 2B pencil. I clean the labels every year and re-use them.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • alansharpealansharpe Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. Ink and pencil just wear away. The old embossed Dymo tape used to be good but the new digitally printed stuff has useless glue. Dymo make an embossing machine that writes onto metal strips but it's over £100
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,473
    Brother laminated labels don't fade. Their ordinary ones will fade in the sun.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,217
    I use a Sharpie permanent, but not on plastic.  My husband, on his daily walk, picks up wooden lolly sticks, chip forks and coffee stirrers for me.  They cost nothing and are biodegradable.  
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,368
    If you don't have a handy husband to collect freebies, you can buy new wooden lolly sticks for not much more than plastic plant labels if you hunt around online.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,324
    There are several threads on Write-4-All pens. It seems to be the only thing that works for everyone.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,988
    Fire said:
    There are several threads on Write-4-All pens. It seems to be the only thing that works for everyone.
    They work for me, I use both sides, sometimes twice if I can squeeze more in. I only label plants I'm propagating, no labels in the garden
  • I use Artline Garden Marker for outdoor labels. After a year there has been no fading at all.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,325
    I use a Brother labeller which prints stick on labels which you then attach to the marker of your choice. I find it very good and the labels last for years. However the label cartridges aren't cheap at about £15 a pop.
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,935
    Thanks everyone. I've got a labelling machine (probably brother) and it works great but a bit time consuming labelling lots of seedlings! Im going to try sharpie pens on wooden sticks as well.