Moved to a flat

We downsized end of last year to a flat that has a small court yard type space which we have made into a container garden.
we successfully raised some tulips in the containers,which now need removing.
i can’t leave them in the garden as there Is no room but I would like to save the bulbs if that is possible.
i do have a garage.
would it be best to just store the containers in the garage or take bulbs out of the containers and store.
thanks in advance,

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,705
    The plants need time for their leaves to die down naturally, take in goodness from the sun and pass it back down into the bulbs for them to store it as energy for next year.

Have they done this?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • gtomp14gtomp14 Posts: 7
    The flowers have been removed by storm Hannah ,the stem and leaves are still green but are starting to die down.
    i know that they need to die down but am unsure of the next step re storing.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,498
    And even if they have, they tend to be smaller and weaker in the second year. I know it sounds wasteful, but it's probably better to compost the bulbs and buy new ones for next year. At least you get to try some different varieties  :)

The only ones that get better year on year are the small 'species' type, which can form a small clump, but you have to leave them alone, not lift them after they flower.

If you want to have bulbs to re-use, plant them in a plastic pot that you drop into your courtyard 'show' pot, then lift the whole lot out when they go over and stand the plastic potful behind something to let them die back naturally. Next spring you can swap them back to the front again. It works better with daffs than tulips, IME
    It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of