Where are my broad bean pods?

I overwintered my broad beans and they’ve been flowering successfully but they are only producing a few very tiny pods near the top but nothing at the bottom. This is the first time I’ve grown them but I will need the space soon for my runner beans so I am getting impatient. I’ve treated them regularly to prevent black fly and watered them well so I’m a bit worried that maybe the mice have eaten them. Can anyone advise?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,728
    The first flowers of the season often don’t set and drop off.

The ones at the top will have set but need time to grow, just like any other plant or animal.

Impatience and gardening don’t go together.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynfromSeaLynfromSea Posts: 14
    Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest. I just didn’t want to be wasting my time waiting around for things to happen if it was pointless. I’ve got new broad beans shutting up in my poly tunnel that I planted this spring so I’m going to be inundated with them. At least they freeze well!
    i don’t have a massive space for growing veg as I only have two raised beds and one for fruit but there’s nothing like homegrown produce is there?
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,728
    Beautiful. And the tips of the broad bean shoots are delicious steamed and served with butter, salt and pepper.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 328
    I gave up overwintering mine because they didn't  do well. Mind you my early spring  planting is pretty  poor this year due to heat and lack of rain. I tend to go away early spring so can be around for summer watering  but this year's  warm easter caught me out. Great that you can eat broad beans tips always seemed a waste to pinch tips out to.prevent  black fly and then compost  them . Thanks  for tip @pansyface.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,477
    The steamed and buttered broadbean tips are one of life’s epicurean treats 😋 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynfromSeaLynfromSea Posts: 14
    Thank you for all your encouragement. Broad beans that I overwintered are plentiful now. 
    😊 😋 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,295
    The one vegetable I can’t stomach.   Yuk !  
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,642
    I love them. I think one problem with overwintering is that they flower early when there aren't so many bees and insects around to pollinate them.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    It doesn’t seem to be a problem here @Busy-Lizzie , but the back garden here is pretty sheltered and we do seem to have plenty of bumbled around here. We’ve got a fantastic crop of broad beans here this year 😋