Winter crops

FlinsterFlinster Posts: 766
So, I finished building my veg garden a couple of months ago and most crops are doing well. However, I am now going to move the veg garden.. AGAIN! 😫

This isn’t so much indecision it’s jusr that the overall garden plan has changed, which means I have to move it. This isn’t all bad, it’s going back to its position I originally planned and in fact will be even bigger. The drawback is that the beds will be on rubble soil so the beds need to be deeper, so more building.

so with this in mind how late can I sow/plant my winter crops? I’m wondering if I get organised, that I can get a couple of beds built and soil transferred as soon as my summer crops are done!

planning on:
Kale- redbor and cavalo nero 
psb
cabbage
squash
Kai lan
winter salads

sods law that I sowed my squash yesterday! If worst comes to worst I can plant those in big tubs. I haven’t grown kale, cabbage and psb before though so not sure how late I can plant!

so much planning to do now aaarrgh!! This is a positive on the whole but I don’t want to miss the winter growing veg!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,699
    I don’t do much winter veg now but I do sow cabbage seeds on the 1st of August, indoors then plant out when they’re big enough. I actually plant mine out in the GH but no difference.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 766
    Thats encouraging as that would give me a few weeks. I think what I’m going to do is build a couple of beds and get them filled up in advance in order to plant the winter veg and then use the soil from the existing beds to top up the new beds as I build ready for spring...
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,699
    Cabbages and greens need to be in very firm ground, you need to plant them in,  then tread on the ground around very firmly, can you do that in your raised beds. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,624
    You used to be indecisive but now you're not so sure, hmm?  :open_mouth:

You can sow all sorts of things and grow them on in pots and harden them off and hope for the best.

PSB and kale are relatively slow growers, IME, so you could sow them late May or early June and as long as you can keep potting them on so they are never 'checked' in growth, plant them out well into August. If you grow 'spring greens' type cabbages, you can sow them in August and plant them out in September. Same with a lot of the winter salads, oriental greens and chard.

Whether they 'take' and how much of a crop you get will depend on what the weather is like just after you plant them out. A nice damp mild autumn and you'll do fine. A vicious frost in November and they'll probably either just sit there til it warms up (Redbor, spring cabbage, chard) or turn up their toes and die (cavolo nero, salads). 
    Flying...
    Or am I falling?