Glass in compost

Has anyone came accross this before. I've recently filled my raised bed with compost bought from lidle and I'm coming accross pieces of glass 🙄

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,184
    You need to complain as it's dangerous and definitely not what compost should contain.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,602
    I've not had glass in compost, but have had plenty of other rubbish including lumps of wood.  I don't mean twiggy bits but more like pieces of an old fence.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,532
    Why is compost more  adulterated now? Obviously, the producers are cutting corners but was there a sifting stage or are they just sourcing inferior ingredients?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633
    They are using compost  made from the green waste bins from the council. It is then down to what people put in their green waste bins. I put bindweed and dock roots in mine, but others put in anything including wood. I had a 6 inch nail in a bag of lidl compost along with blue plastic. I would not buy it again.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,532
    If be afraid of getting mares tail or bindweed from council compost
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • dancindufasdancindufas Posts: 60

• dancindufasdancindufas Posts: 60
    A wee selection of what I've came accross in another bag. Phoned them and the girl seemed genuinely shocked and concerned and is passing the details onto head office. I bought over 20 bags but the one I've just opened is where ive found that wee selection so im guessing its in all of them 😕
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,728
    It’s not like it’s cheap to buy is it? 
    My son bought a couple of bags yesterday, thought 99p was a good price until I pointed out he could go to the GC and get 3 bags of good stuff for £10.00 same weight. 
    I advised him not to buy anymore. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Jason millyJason milly Posts: 506
    I had stones in my seed compost from westlands emailed them and just a email back saying there was a hole in one of there grids  basically there not bothered, found a lot of stones in miracale grow compost but didn't email them as I thought what's the point it's not like they are cheap compost, like mentioned above full of recycled crap. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,728
    Were they actual stones, or what we call ‘stones’ hard bits that can be broken up with your fingers? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.