Cutting trees down to size

I don’t know what trees these are but I need to level them off in line with the yew/holly hedge as they have grown far too tall due to my neglect.

Any tips?

Would cutting them off at the bottom be better? Coppicing?

• Tin potTin pot Posts: 744

The green and red leafed trees on the left.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,943
    We had to have a whole row of trees cut like that, they look lovely now, they shoot out and become thicker, is that a Lime and a copper Beech.? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn said:
    We had to have a whole row of trees cut like that, they look lovely now, they shoot out and become thicker, is that a Lime and a copper Beech.? 
    Cut to the ground or levelled off like I’m hoping to do?

Im afraid I have no idea what they are, Would pictures of the leaves close up help?
    Close up photo would be a help, but whatever they are they need their wings clipped before they’re completely out of control.  They are very close to that house, a branch on a windy day could have the roof in. 
    Ours were very similar, we had them cut down to about 6 to 8’ the whole row. 

I assume the others are conifers, Leylandii types? 

Yew and holly 
    Right, can’t really see well enough from the photos. They’re  at a good height. 

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 511
    If you cut them to height of current hedge is there anything that they could bud from at or near that height?  If not then coppice is probably best. 
    Lyn said:
    Sorry for the delay!

As below: