Forum home The potting shed

Gardening wear.....

12345679»

• Fairygirl said:
    Folk with deep pockets @Allotment Boy - and there's probably plenty of them on those trousers too!
    I just wear old walking stuff that's no longer viable for gardening. 
    I've never bought expensive secateurs. They get lost as easily as cheap ones. My current W. Sword ones have done the job well for me for a long time - at least ten years. I use snips quite a lot and the cheap ones from the supermarket have been the best - by a long way. 
    Same here..it's either an old pair of shorts or a pair of work pants from somewhere like Screwfix. 
    The best garden tool I ever bought was a blade sharpening kit. It was a little bit expensive but it's paid for itself many times over. I've no idea who makes my seccies or loppers but they're scalpel sharp...doesn't matter what make they are, blunt tools are a waste of time...and very dangerous.
  • @bede My name was given randomly and my actual OH can and does help in the garden but no way am I letting him prune.
    Southampton 
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,263
    Mrs B3.  Not that random.  Worth trying to change your pen-name to avoid the sort of mistake I made.  Sorry for that.

PS.  The location is helpful (if it is correct).
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • @bede. I kept Mrs B3 cos I couldn't think of anything better. I meant the Southampton to be smaller type but my level of expertise is zilch. I'm using one finger to write this, not even 2!
    Southampton 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,817
    It seems most of us wear old things that you wouldn't wear anywhere else.  The only expensive things I have bought are Muck boots.  The first and only  wellies I have had where my feet don't freeze. They have been well worth it. 
    AB Still learning

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,007
    I wear Aigle wellies, neoprene lined and only had 2 pairs since 1988. Expensive but worth every penny. I never get cold feet either and both pairs have done some miles dog walking. 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,014
    Another vote for Aigle wellies here.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    Having spent a very large part of my life in wellies, I can't tolerate them now   :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....