Forum home The potting shed

Gardening wear.....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,086
    Thanks Lizzie.
     I do not wear gloves to garden because I like to feel the soil between my fingers. I feel as if every grain of soil in my garden has been through my hands which gives me a sense of connection to my patch.
    Mad I know, but that is just me.
    Not just you at all ... there's two of us  :D
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    "and very convenient when a ‘wild wee’ needed! "

It's all in the timing of it @Ergates ....you have to be speedy.... ;)

3 of us @Dovefromabove. I don't like them for everyday use  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,263
    edited November 2022
    KT53 said:
    This summer I've had to buy a couple of new pairs of trousers as all last years ones seem to have shrunk.
    It's a scientifically proven fact that clothes left in the wardrobe over winter shrink.  There is no other logical explanation of why it happens to so much clothing. :D

My tailor said:  "Don't get measured for a new suit.  Use the old measurements and make sure you make these work, otherwise you creep out cm by cm."    
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
    edited November 2022
    My jeans usually last some 3 years and are then consigned to gardening duties.  I abhor the torn "fashion", which is unsuited to shrub/rose/wild gardening because of snagging.  My jeans are patched/reinforced with pre-used denim, which I glue on (Copydex) rather than sew.  When they wear out in the legs, they are cut down to shorts for summer use.

I am quite relaxed at kneeling on damp grass or even bare soil.  The jeans already have a fine patina.

No vest.  Any old shirt.  And in cold weather an old cotton, much patched  Guernsey.  On top goes a faded blue, Cornish fisherman's smock.  If the weather is too wet or too cold for all that, I come in.  In the full heat of the sun, I still keep my smock on for protection.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
    edited November 2022
    I feel naked without my secateurs.  One never knows what one may need to snip.

I don't have a scabbard, I don't have a belt.  Nothing fancy, I just put them in my back pocket, blades first.  

After a while they wear a hole. I noticed that GW presenters wore theirs blades up.    Who said: you can;t teach an old dog new tricks?  I copied the blades-up position, but found that I was cutting my hand on the blades, so I have reverted to blades-down.  I reinforce the pockets with more denim and more Copydex.  When that goes, it's time for a change of jeans.

By-the-way, mine are Felco No2.  One shouldn't econpmise on secateurs.  If I were to buy a new pair, I would consider Japanese, but I have found the red colour functional.
  • Funny you should say that @bede, my red - handled ones are AWOL.
    Southampton 
    edited November 2022
    By functional, I mean easy-to-find if dropped or put down.  

I lost mine during a busy pruning period.  I rethought all my garden movements and actions, and explored every inch of garden.  Very frustrating.  They turned up under blackbird-scratched leaves months later.  I now have two pairs.

I thought you would delegate pruning work to gantlet-wearing Mr-B3 (or perhaps the pen-mames are just a coincidence)
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,817
    Interesting chat, it makes me wonder who buys those ridiculously expensive trousers you see advertised.  I think their "genius" is being able charge so much.
    AB Still learning

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    Folk with deep pockets @Allotment Boy - and there's probably plenty of them on those trousers too!
    I just wear old walking stuff that's no longer viable for gardening. 
    I've never bought expensive secateurs. They get lost as easily as cheap ones. My current W. Sword ones have done the job well for me for a long time - at least ten years. I use snips quite a lot and the cheap ones from the supermarket have been the best - by a long way. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

My long handled pruners were a special offer at B&Q.  The recovery spring has packed in, but they still work for thicker branches.

I also have a folding saw.  I inherited two from different aunts, and found them very useful. They were inexpensive and the blades bent on both, and eventually snapped.  I traded up to Felco.  I have several times cut myself quit=e painfully on these, so now always wear a glove on my left hand.