Forum home The potting shed

Gardening wear.....

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,176
    edited November 2022
    When your body’s as old as mine a little dust fills in the cracks and smoothes out the wrinkles. 😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    pansyface said:
    When your body’s as old as mine a little dust fills in the cracks and smoothes out the wrinkles. 😁
    ...and probably much safer than Botox  :D 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 2,033
    I have to be grateful for this probably dodgy poster, as I would otherwise have missed Helix’s gardening Kilt! I love it! Back when we used to do a lot of hill walking, I started wearing my lovely tartan kilt as an alternative to trousers. An excellent choice, kept the rain off, warm but cool at the same time, and very convenient when a ‘wild wee’ needed! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    I don't think I could garden in a kilt @Ergates. Folk think I'm weird enough as it is!
    I certainly wouldn't wear one on a hill  :D
    Mind you - there's a few folk who often accompany those who are compleating [the Munros]  complete with bagpipes, and possibly  a wee dram or two, to celebrate.  ;)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 2,033
    I also suspect gardening in a kilt might prove problematic, Fire! Managed to get scratched by brambles through my trousers as it is!
    I did find the kilt really good for hill walking, though. Always envied OH the convenience of not having to strip off from the waist down, but the kilt made the necessary activities  relatively discreet, as long as one can cope with ticklish heather near the nether regions!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,292
    Ergates,I'm trying to picture walking uphill in a kilt! Hubby decided to prune the Rambling Rector today,pretty much covered and wearing thorn proof gloves,he came in with a bleeding nose,where a long thin stem had caught him on its way to the ground, in 2 places. Apparently,he said some very rude words!
  • Oh, how I am enjoying this thread! It has really made me laugh. It is so comforting to know there are so many "bag gardeners" around.
    I wear anything too old and disgraceful to walk the dog in. I have several pairs of baggy, lightweight shorts for the summer, with vest tops, never skirts, in the winter it is layers of mens long sleeved thermal vests, assorted fleeces, waterproof anoraks, saggy fleece jogging bottoms etc. depending on the outside temperature. I wear walking boots in the winter and crocs in the summer or very old trainers. Plus a wide-brimmed sunhat in the summer. The one thing I cannot wear to garden are gloves. I fumble around and cannot feel what I am doing so suffer the consequences of scratches, thorns and frozen fingers, etc.
    I agree with clothes shrinking in the wardrobe, a big problem in my house.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,482
    @Joyce Goldenlily, try Showa gloves which come in different sizes and a thermal version which is thicker for winter. They are made of a close fitting stretchy material with neoprene palms and fingers. The only thing I can't do in mine is tie knots in twine, otherwise I wear them all the time. 
  • Thanks Lizzie.
     I do not wear gloves to garden because I like to feel the soil between my fingers. I feel as if every grain of soil in my garden has been through my hands which gives me a sense of connection to my patch.
    Mad I know, but that is just me.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,360
    My brother, who lives in Scotland, wears a kit when he hill walks with his Border Collie. In fact, he wears a kilt and thick socks most of the time!

I wear jeans and a jumper for gardening, tee shirt in summer, except if it's hot then I wear my gardening dress which is the ideal colour, murky greens and browns.
    Dordogne and Norfolk