Gardening wear.....

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,470
    edited 28 April
    I think it's fabulous , @Helix. Wouldn't work for me as I hate wearing skirts of any kind at any time, but for those who *do* find them comfy it looks perfect. 

It rather reminds me of Jean-Paul Gaultier in the Eurotrash era, which helps ;)
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,441
    Papi jo.    Mmmm, let me see 😌.   I think I have a prior appointment on the 4th of May. 😉
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,905
    The key thing is that you like it Helix and it does the job for you.   

I wouldn't wear a skirt to garden because we have stinging stuff here tho I do wear OH's old shorts for jobs I know don't involve nettles and thistles and so on.   As for pockets, I don't like things weighing me down so I use a trug or barrow to move tools around as needed.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,569
    I also tend to wear old comfy stretch trousers and old T shirts with fleeces for cold weather.  I forget sometimes that our big front garden is visible to passers by and that I must look like a demented bag lady! Especially when I say hello to our new NDN, think cashmere coat, silk scarf, immaculate long nails and blonde hair with highlights.

I have a small handmade wooden trug I carry around for tools and last year bought a pair of scissors with rounded ends I can safely keep in a pocket. I sometimes chuckle when I see Carol Klein trying to garden in some of the clothes she wears. I know it's probably all for the cameras but still.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,366
    Ours dresses up to the nines to snip off a few sweet peas with what looks like embroidery or nail scissors
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,872
    Fleece jogging bottoms , jumper and fleece in the winter, tee shirt and trousers in summer. Trousers were dead cheap but very lightweight, trouble is they are too short. OH says l look like one of the Bay City Rollers. 
    As for naked gardening, l wouldn't inflict that on anybody (except maybe people l can't stand >:) )
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,874
    Kilt looks very smart but not for me.  I get bitten to death in the garden, dread to think where I'd get itchy lumps if I wore that.  It's old stretchy jeans and either a t short or a fleece and plenty of insect repellant.  I have a pair of old walking boots for wet weather and a pair of slip on clog type shoes for the summer.  Always look a real state when I garden.  Some would say I'm not much better when I'm not.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,433
    My clothes get destroyed by gardening; I'm guessing mostly wrestling with roses. All my clothes have tears in, so now I'm trying to be more careful and wear clothes that have holes in and save everything else. I do often wear a high necked apron with pockets, to slow down the destruction.

I should also get better at wearing gloves as I can't put a toe over the threshold without spiking it with thorns.
  • I'd get ripped to bits by my roses if I wore a skirt. In winter I wear fleece-lined windproof & showerproof walking trousers. If temperatures are very low I also wear thermal legging beneath them. Very cosy. 😁

Two fleece tops and a really old heavy fleece jacket that's two sizes too big for me. Heat holder wellie boot socks and wellies. Seriously - I can hardly move! 

Haven't yet found anything suitable for my hands that keep the fingers warm, and still let me work! Ideas welcome. 

In summer it's just old jeans and a cotton shirt - unless it's a typical Scottish summer then it's full waterproof gear! 
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 577
    Round here people dress for each activity, so a friend that we walk our dog with will change out of her gym clothes, into her dog walking clothes, and then go home and change again to housework or gardening clothes.  She can’t pop down to the shops without her heels.... I don’t even know where my single pair of heels kept for funerals & weddings are!   And since I can’t get OH to let go of his ancient, baggy and holey trousers one of us has to step up or we’ll be excommunicated by our neighbours soon. 

So far I haven’t been more bitten or stung in a skirt....but we will see.  Nettles are still only ankle height. 

Fingerless cycling gloves might work?