Forum home Problem solving

2 Clematis on 1 Trellis

I have a large, south-facing trellis (5ft x 6Ft).

Currently I have a young Montana Mayleen trained on it. I would like to grow other clematis with it in order to give interest into summer and autumn.

I appreciate that Montana are very vigorous and invasive; I have a mature Arbutus growing next to the trellis and am hoping that in time it will wander onto that.

I would be grateful for your advice on whether it will be possible to grow other clematis on the same trellis and not run into problems with pruning.

If this possible, I would be grateful for advice on which clematis will be suitable for the job.

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087
    I have 2 Clematis growing up 1 trellis but both Group 3 pruning so flower same time to give a compliment in colour 
    As long as you do not plant them to close together as to effect their individual performance I would say they no problems  
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    If you grow group 3, those are cut very low or to the ground in Feb each year and all of last year's stems can be pulled from the trellis.  Apart from watering when dry, feeding at the same time you cut the group 3 back and a bit of tying-in, that would be pretty much it in terms of maintenance.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Many thanks for your prompt responses BobTheGardener and greenfingers Steve; really helpful.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,593
    I think that when your young montana matures in the next couple of years it will need considerably more space than one trellis panel as its potential size is 7 to 10 metres.   It is also a group 1 for pruning so incompatible with the later flowering clems which are pruned differently.  How will you identify and untangle the correct stems?

I suggest you keep your montana mayleen well fed and watered and let it reach its potential and maybe think about planting something else like a repeat flowering rambling rose that can also be trained on the terrace to provide flowers and perfume once the clematis has finished flowering.  

I'd add extra trellis panels now too, while it's easy to do.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Many thanks for your response; it's very helpful. So you're saying that I should another trellis panel?! Yikes! I thought the one I had would be sufficient as it's 5' x6'. It's been installed on staked posts approximately 2' away from the fence  panel. 
    5' and 6' are less than 2metres.  Once established you can expect your clematis to spread 7 to 10 metres.   Do the maths, as they say.

A series of trellis panels or a central panel with tensioned wires spreading from each end and on to further fence posts would each be fine.  Depends on your vision and aesthetics.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you. I like the idea of tensioned wires attached to posts would not have thought of that as my mind went straight to another panel. My garden design skills and sense of aesthetics is evolving all the time and Maths - never my strong point.
    That's OK.  So is mine and I've been at it for decades now.  Gardens and plants don't stand still.

The tensioned wire solution will be cheap and largely invisible once covered with your clematis and any other climbers.  You can by vine eyes (screws with a loop instead of a flat head with a slot or cross in them) at DIY stores and then choose metal or green coated fencing wire according to taste and some tensioning screws which allow you to stretch the wires tight.  You need to space them about 12"/30cms apart horizontally up your posts.

Most clematis self twine with a bit of guidance.   Rambling and climbing roses need to be tied gently with twine.
  • Now I'm excited about this project. Your advice is much appreciated. One more question - do you recommend a climbing rose over a rambler? My understanding is that the latter flowers only once. 
    Ramblers are softer stemmed and easier to train and there are now repeat flowering ones available from David Austin roses.  Look on their website.   If you want stronger colours you'll need to look at climbing roses and those come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and the older varieties do not always repeat either.  Check out Peter Beales and Harkness roses for a full range to help narrow down your choices and then go see what your local garden centre has or order from one of the websites.