Identification of plant in West Norfolk garden

I need identification of a plant in my garden.  It has stems that are about 3/4 inch wide that are white with brown spots on them.  They are currently about 2 foot tall.  The leaves unfurl and the flowers of which there is one per plant are like the cuckoopint.  They come up about a foot long and are a deep purple around a black pointed bit.  Once the flowers are open the whole plant wilts immediately and within a day look dead.  This is my third summer here and the plants are spreading.  If they are a rarity I don't want to pull them up.  Advice please.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,405
    Very descriptive @jmevans950, but would there be any chance of a photo just to help as well ?  :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,434
    edited 28 April
    Sounds like Dranunculus vulgaris, but as @AnniD says, a photo would help to confirm. 

https://www.tropicalbritain.co.uk/aroids/dracunculus/dracunculus-vulgaris/dracunculus-vulgaris.html

Definitely a bit special 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,944
    dranunculus vulgaris? or Sauromatum venosum?
    Devon.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 24,579
    If it looks like this its one of the Arum lilies:

Image result for black arum lily plant images

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,981
    Dracunculus vulgaria seeds all over my garden. The flowers stink, have you checked that?
  • jmevans950jmevans950 Posts: 3
    Thank you all.  It is Dranunculus vulgaris.  No I haven't smelt the flowers but do brush past them to get into my shed and haven't noticed a smell. Perhaps it is as well that the flowers only seem to last for a day before they die off!  Very exciting waiting for the flowers to develop and open though.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,434
    edited 28 April
    They’re quite something aren’t they? I’ve seen
    them in Nutcutlet’s garden ...  impressive  😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• jmevans950jmevans950 Posts: 3
    They are quite something but I expect because they die off so quickly after the flowers come out that garden centres generally don't stock them.  The build up to flowering is so exciting and I am really pleased to be able to tell my friends and relatives what they are and maybe even offer to share them especially as I have some growing in my veg patch where I would prefer to have lettuces.  Mind you, those coming this weekend I will try to palm off my surplus courgette and tomato plants on to!