Hole in Soil Appearing

• Shrinking VioletShrinking Violet Posts: 1,012
    It looks like a hole made by a rat and I would either bait it myself or get in a professional.  If you want greater certainty, you could put down some fine sand around the hole, and check for footprints/droppings. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,616
    My initial thought was Rat as well, l'm afraid. 
  • KatstezKatstez Posts: 15
    I’ve had a look around the border and can’t see another hole to make it s tunnel. I will ask my neighbour as the border is on the fence divide to both our gardens. I think I will get it dealt with rather than leaving. Thank you. 
  • dancindufasdancindufas Posts: 59
    I jad a hole just like this in my border 2 years ago just like that and turned out it was a wasp nest 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,034
    Flippin’ ‘eck ... I don’t want to meet the wasp who makes holes three inches across 😱
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Buzzy2Buzzy2 Posts: 83
    Rat!
  • dancindufasdancindufas Posts: 59
    Flippin’ ‘eck ... I don’t want to meet the wasp who makes holes three inches across 😱
    Thats funny. Mine was not 3 inches across maybe half that lol 
  • KatstezKatstez Posts: 15
    We put some paper down the hole and some sand at side to see footprints but the paper hadn’t been moved for a week until last night. The hole this morning is twice the size but there isn’t any footprints. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,546
    If it is just a hole and not a tunnel, it could be a fox digging up his stash.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 635
    I had a similar hole appearing next to my newly planted cherry tree, night after night. I filled it in and stood on it to compact it a little bit. The hole hasn’t come back since. I assumed it was a hedgehog digging for beasties to eat.

Your second pic hasn’t happened to me yet!