Forum home Problem solving

Eggs on my Acer tree?

I have a 20 year old acre tree and it has developed these kinds of eggs around all the branches and new shoots. I used to battle with ants with this tree but they are always there. never used chemicals. the acre is in a new pot from last year. any ideas what this could be and if it is harming my tree? I grew the tree from seed so would be upset if it kills the tree. thanks

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,670
    Bumping this up as I would like to know too. Seem to have legs, are they some sort of aphid.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,217
    Looks like aphids to me and if there are ants farming them? Doubt they will do any real damage have you tried blasting it with the hose? 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,893
    You could put a little tiny bit of washing up liquid in a spray bottle, you’ll need to do it a couple of times. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I have been spraying with hose and running them through my fingers and then. I will try washing up liquid in a spray to try it. But just as long as these aphid dont kill me tree.
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    aphids will stunt growth quite severely. They need to drink a lot of sap to obtain all the nutrients they need. They won't kill the plant but the plant will be twice as vigorous without aphids. All the excess juice the aphids suck out the plant to obtain their food is secreted and very popular for ants so ants usually follow a big aphid infestation.

A very effective way of killing them is squeezing each shoot of the plant between fingers and running fingers along leaves but that takes time. I don't think washing up liquid is very good. The only really effective way I have found to keep them away for the rest of the season is to use bug clear ultra. It is a pesticide but I'd rather have lush healthy plants than shrivelled up leaves and ants enjoying all my hard work...

• B3B3 Posts: 21,471
    It looks like an ant farm to me
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,217
    I think Bob Flowerdew suggests putting jam near ant “farms” the thinking is if you give ants sweet treats they won’t need honeydew from aphids and will see them instead as a source of protein? Not sure if it works but I think better than insecticides which kill beneficial insects too, if you can be patient ladybirds will come along or you could try a seed feeder hung in the tree to attract small birds who will eat the aphids. 
  • Thanks for the suggests I have seen some lady bugs but will give it a go. I'm relieved that it wont kill my tree but still want it to look amazing so will give all advice a try. Thanks again