Runner bean problems

hpsauce1995hpsauce1995 United kingdom SomersetPosts: 15
Hi. I'm just wondering if anyone can help me. I've recently started growing runner beans but the leaves have gone drippy and brown. However on one plant the new leaves coming through seem very green! Thanks for any advice. 

• Shrinking VioletShrinking Violet Posts: 1,005
    It's a bit early to have planted runner bean plants out - those leaves look like they have suffered from the sudden cold weather.  They may just have had their growing spurt temporarily curtailed and I would wrap fleece around them until you are certain that the cold winds (or even worse - a frost) are no longer a threat.  You may still lose the plants and have to replace them.  We can't be reasonably sure that the very cold weather is behind us until mid to late May.

Here in the South West (I am in mid Devon, but lived previously in West Somerset) we are going to get some very cold, stormy winds over the next few days.  Your plants will need a bit of protection.  (My beans are still under glass, and are gradually being hardened off).
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,781
    I haven't even put the seeds in yet, was planning to next week as you dont want them above ground before mid/late May. Careful when watering, do it in the morning so any splashes have time to dry before dark and freeze on the leaves damaging them.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,878
    Sow some more seed on the 1st May, indoors, then they will be ready to plant our on the 1st June. They’ll be fine then. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,469
    I sowed mine yesterday. They’re on the dining room windowsill ... as @lyn says I plan to plant them out during the first week in June ... after hardening them off. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• hpsauce1995hpsauce1995 United kingdom SomersetPosts: 15
    I got them from a friend! So wasn't 100% sure I will defiantly get some seeds soon to try myself. Thank you for your help! 
    Also want to add they were going really well until we had that super hot weather during Easter weekend
    I doubt it was the super hot weather, more likely the 4c temps we’ve had since. 

• cornellycornelly Posts: 644
    Mine are ready to plant out, but are back in the glasshouse in pots while this bad weather lasts, supports are up ready.
    Mine were inside but because they started going yellow and droopy I planted them out. 
    You live and learn, make a note in your Gardeners diary so next year you can plant at a later time.