Edible 'weeds'

Is there an illustrated guide anywhere that defines not only which weeds, grasses and other wild plants can be eaten but, also, how to gather and prepare them? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,471
    Richard Mabey’s Food for Free is the acknowledged ‘bible’ for foragers. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,561
    One of the River Cottage handbooks is called Hedgerow. It's much less comprehensive than Richard Mabey's book but funnier
    It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
  • Wondering if I could eat the tonnes of ground elder I have spent weeks hoeing up...perhaps with a sycamore sapling coulis...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,471
    edited 26 April
    Ground elder is very edible. Introduced to Britain by the Romans as a vegetable. Great steamed chopped and added to creamy mashed potatoes like Champ. http://www.wildplantforager.com/blog/edible-weed-ground-elder
    Delicious 😋 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Argh!!!
    Flippin' Romans (and I'm half Italian!)  ;)
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,561
    It tastes very like parsley

You can eat stinging nettles too (in soup or quiche). And hairy bittercress (tastes like cress - eat in egg sandwiches), silverweed (tastes like jerusalem artichokes but much more fiddly to eat) and dandelion (if you really want to) too. And fat hen, chickweed, orache and goosefoot.
    It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 610
    I have a very nice book, getting a bit old now I actually bought my copy from Amazon when it was a rare book site it took them 6 months to find and deliver it for me!
    I'm sure it can be found in other places but that is the book.
    Please do not eat sycamore seeds/saplings they can be deadly. as it contains Hypoglycin A which has killed several horses and is also toxic to people.

Ground elder is not for me I find the taste way too strong. but chickweed is very mild and a perfectly acceptable salad vegetable, even goosegrass/clevers are edible, although probably better used as a rennte substitute than actual food.

• ladyblue50ladyblue50 Posts: 3
    Thanks very much for that. I'll look for the book.