Forum home Problem solving

Fir (i think)

This got absolutely battered last summer with the heat. Could anyone give me any tips on how to save it (if possible) also could anyone tell me the name of it.

Many thanks

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    I'm afraid I think it's a goner...   :/
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,465
    Me too ☹️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,391
    Ex Fir 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,611
    It's a form of conifer and they don't regenerate well so all that brown stuff will just stay brown and, frankly, the rest doesn't look too lively. I would cut your losses and dig it out now.  Refresh the soil which will be short of moisture and nutrients before you plant anything new and make sure it is well watered, especially in its first summer season and in any future dry spells.   Kindness to plants does work.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,655
    I think it'd be heading to the great compost bin in the sky if it were mine.
    Devon.
  • Thank you all for that, i thought this might be the case. I will get digging 😊 the silver lining is that there will be room for more plants 😁
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply
  • GravelEaterGravelEater The East of EnglandPosts: 94
    Looks like Picea Abies something  or Picea Pungens something.
    The problem is that whatever it is, if you did manage to save it, it's gonna look pretty terrible.  I don't think these regenerate new growth, it'll just looks really spindly/twiggy.