Forum home Problem solving

Very sore and inflamed hands

A few days ago Janie B put up a post re gardeners hands, you were all kind and gave me advice which I hope also helped Janie. I have not long come back from the doctors and it turns out it's a chemical burn which I though strange as I never use chemical in the garden or so I thought. OH told the doctor he put down something after cutting the lawn and yes I didn't know and was on the lawn. All along I have thought I was gardening organically and now I find out this, angry doesn't come into it. I now have something to help with the soreness and splits. I would like to warn others to make sure if you do use chemicals in the garden to let family know you are about to use them as this can course a great deal of discomfort. I'm just glad it was me and not a child. Thanks again for all you kind help the other day.

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
    Do you have any Euphorbias in the garden? My hands always pulse and tingle if I so much as touch them (they're worth it though!)
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,214
    I've had very sore and cracked areas down the sides of two of my fingers for the last couple of weeks which I attribute to tearing up lots of bolted spring onions and getting the sap over the skin in that area.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    I have to get OH to weed any sticky bud/goose grass as it brings me out in a painful rash.  Can't bear euphorbias either for their acid colours or their burning sap.

If I think a plant may be a bit "rashy" I try and remember to wear gloves but also have anti-histamines on hand in both pill and cream form.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,839
    What chemical did he use on the lawn? I mean lime is organic but will burn you pretty badly if used incorrectly.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057

wild edges I asked him all he said was the one I always use, not much help. I got rid of the Euphorbias a month a so ago so it wont have been them.

Obelixx No sticky bud/goose grass in the garden. I always wear leather gloves but if I drop something I take them of as I can't pick up anything when wearing them. Normally he tells me or I see him doing it and stay off the lawn. 

I've told OH no more chemicals on the lawn he can use a spring rake or scarifier or leave the lawn to me.

I've sent him out to get me another pair of leather gloves as the Doctor said it could still be in the ones I was wearing, don't know if that so but not taking any chances.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    edited April 2019
    Wasn't suggesting it was sticky bud.  Just pointing out that there are hidden hazards in some groups of plants.   some people have problems after pruning buddleia.

I suspect in your case it is the lawn.  Well done telling OH off.   If he won't use a spring-tined rake, it's better to buy a scarifier anyway as you can use the scrapings on the compost heap, unlike whatever he cuts off after using chemicals.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    It's lucky as you say, that there were no children (or pets ?) around. It just goes to show that you can't be too careful.  When he says "The one l always use", can you ask him "Well what's that then ?". Presumably the doctor had some idea what was in it to affect your hands so. I know my OH always reads what's in the feed he puts on the lawn as we have a hedgehog visiting the garden. Don't get me wrong, he's no saint (OH I mean, not the hedgehog, he's great), but l'd be bl##dy furious if that happened to me because he hadn't read the contents list and hadn't told me. Hope your hands improve soon.
    Obelixx I'm just glad I never let him put the cutting in my compost, I asked on here earlier this year and found I had much more green than brown for the compost bin it goes into the green bin which is collected each week. I appreciate that you weren't suggesting sticky bud and didn't mean to imply you were. It is just a relief to know what coursed it and the treatment. 
    AnniD, He's still out so looked in the garage but can't find anything there's a few bottles without labels, a plastic tub with brown stuff in it and tin's on the shelf so will wait till he's home. If he still has it it's going in the bin I can't risk this again and I don't want chemicals leaching into the veg patch or flower beds. I didn't think about the hedgehogs we have two which I feed and have made a hog box, I'd be devastated if something happened to them, I know their about apart from the green poo I can hear them snuffling along every night. While typing this I've remembered I have been saying on the forum that I have been pinching a bit here and a bit there of his lawn to make the veg patch bigger. I would have picked up the turfs and stacked them so that might be how it got on my hands so it my own fault and I've been having a go at him.
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 865
    Oh, goodness, @Dee73, your problem was far worse than my "gardeners' rough hands and nails" complaint (and yes, thanks for all the useful tips, am going to look out for the Hemp Cream at the Body Shop). So glad you got it sorted, even if it did require a trip to the doctor's. Hope it gets better soon. Xx