Forum home Plants

Transferring water rooted plant to soil

wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,544
I've been messing about with rooting cuttings in water and I'm getting to the stage where a few need to go into pots. Is there any particular treatment to 'harden' the roots off after they come out of water and go into soil? I'm just wondering if the roots would die off if they get dry or if the plant needs a certain time to make soil roots rather than water roots?
A great library has something in it to offend everybody.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,465
    I add compost to the pot of water they’re in so they’re in a sort of sludge for a while before potting them up properly. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,453
    I just stick them in the compost, water them copiously, and keep them in a sheltered shady spot for a week or so, to give the roots time to adjust.
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    pot them up carefully, fill soil around the roots rather than shoving the cutting into the compost. Then hope for the best and keep them well watered
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,544
    Then hope for the best
    I see you know my gardening style.

It's always confusing with plants that need to be kept on the dry side, like succulents. You can root them in water and then they have to be kept damp while they establish. I can understand it with plants that like moisture but it seems like you always risk rot with the others.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,267
    I'm wondering the same with my penstemons. I think I'll try Dove's method of adding compost to the water as that makes sense to me.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,544
    I'll get kicked out of the house if I start making mud pies in the kitchen. :#