Cherokee tomato

I've bought a Cherokee heritage tomato plant to try out as I don't normally have a lot of luck with flavour when I've tried to grow tomatoes before.  I've read online that it can grow to 9ft and needs to be planted and caged in the garden.  I was planning to grow it in a large pot with a wigwam style staking to support it.  Has anyone else had any luck with this tomato and will it be OK in a pot?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,604
    The plant will continue to grow until you stop it by pinching out the top. All tomatoes will continue to grow while the weather is good and can reach 15 ft or more as they do in commercial operations.
    It's usual to let 4-5 trusses of tomatoes to form on plants grown outside and 6-7 trusses on greenhouse plants then you pinch off the top to stop it growing and concentrate on ripening the fruits, by this time the plant is usually about 6ft.
    I used to grow them in pots and I used 22L pots.
    Cherokee is called an 'indeterminate' tomato (usually called cordon tomatoes) and is grown as a single stem with the leaves and tomatoes forming from the stem - which is the most common type of tomato.
    Any side shoots that appear between the leaves and stem are removed so you just have a straight single stem with no branches.
    It's important to make sure that you support the weight of the plant - there could be a few kilos of tomatoes, so a wigwam (or just a single strong bamboo cane) would probably work well - I have lost plants before because the weight of the tomatoes has caused the plant to slide down the cane and crush the main stem, so support is very important.
    Feeding is important too - don't feed anything until you see some flowers have dropped and tiny tomatoes have started to form, then feed once every 7-10 days.
    Good luck
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Liz HuntLiz Hunt Posts: 12
    Thanks Pete. I can only try and hopefully the fruit will be as tasty as they're made out