Please help me choose an Espalier style for this space

Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 340
edited 22 April in Garden design
Hello gardeners, 

I started growing an apple tree last year which I plan to train across the wall at the back of the garden.

When I originally planted it, I was intending for it to be roughly as wide as the wall, or there abouts. However since then, my plan for the layout of the garden has changed which means I'll be keeping it confined to a smaller part of the wall. The area to cover is now a bit more square. (2.5m wide and 1.8m high)

I'm not certain whether my original horizontal espalier plan will look as good with the new dimensions. The first tier arms are still flexible enough to alter the angle - it's not too late to rethink. So I've drawn up on the computer a few ideas to compare.

Please could you let me know which design you think would look best in this situation. Thank you. (Feel free to suggest other options - I picked these three because they fit the wiring on the wall and the shaping that I've already done with the tree.)

1) Horizontal Espalier
2) Palmette Oblique 
3) Palmette Verrier/Candelabra

1)

2)

3)

Thank you!

Please help me choose an Espalier style for this space 9 votes

Horizontal Espalier
77%
treehugger80WonkyWombleFirepurplerallimClaire204AlchemistWestCoast 7 votes
Palmette Oblique
11%
Tulip18 1 vote
Palmette Verrier/Candelabra
11%
amancalledgeorge 1 vote

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 2,766
    Horizontal Espalier
    I like the horizontal style for that space, but of course it's personal taste and your garden, I'm sure it will look lovely. I've been forced  into doing the same after my little Apple tree snapped in a storm so now I'm training what's left of it!
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,827
    Horizontal Espalier
    you will get more fruit on the horizontal espalier, apple trees tend not to fruit well on fan trained trees (stone fruits like plums work better as that style) or vertical growth (that's why cordon grown trees are usually on an angle)
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 340
    Thanks to everyone who has polled so far