Suggestion on focal point plant

QasQas Woking,SurreyPosts: 29
I need some inspiration on what to do with this semi shaded corner in my gardner.  From the living room, this is the view they see of the garden and i want something nice to be in that corner.  It doesnt get much sun apart from the afternoon sun in the afternoon - that too only the top half.  Am thinking of big flowery shrubbs or rose shrub.  Other halve is thinking big fountain with flowers at the bottom.  Ideally it should be something interesting to look at year round...any ideas fellow gardeners?  You can see I planted some bedding plants (250 plug plants in nov-never again!) to fill in the borders on the right of the tree stump and there is a rose plant on the left of the stump 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,812
    What is your soil like @Qas ? Is it well drained? 
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,287
    A rose and a clematis if you are able to put some sort of trellis on the building wall. I feel that a fountain would be wasted in that tight space and would be more inclined to put a water feature in the centre of the grass area if at all. If you want colour all year round a couple of medium sized pots with bedding plants or bulbs would give you instant colour, which can be changed according to the season.  I hope these ideas help.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,844
    For that semi-shaded spot I would suggest an Acer and underplant with shade-loving plants like Hostas and ferns. This would be fairly bare over Winter, but worth it for the Autumn colours I say. Some climbers along the fence would look great too. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • QasQas Woking,SurreyPosts: 29
    Hey @AnniD, the soil is clay heavy but that area has been used as dumping ground for grass clippings and leaves and branches after pruning sessions etc plus i have purchased 250 litres of compost and 50l of well rotten manure to work into there so i hope it will improve  the soil etc etc in the future...
    @Guernsey Donkey2 thanks for the ideas...i was thinking of roses but hadnt thought of clematis on the wall...will look into that
    @AuntyRach i was looking at acer but thought they would get lost in the distance...how high/big do they grow?

What do you guys think about weeping blossom tree? Would it have much chance of survival in that corner?
    I like both of those @Qas.

Being an Acer fan, I just wanted to share a few pictures of mine:

Top left is is an established large Acer, top right is probably 20 years old, bottom left is in a pot since very small (about 7 years), middle bottom is a deep red Acer just turning to Autumn colours, bottom right is the previous one a month later. 

In in order to create impact, a large Acer will be very pricey, but if you can wait a while...
    Correction to my list: bottom left pot is only 4 years old (thought it was my other one!).
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 390
    If it were my garden, I would fill it with some greenery, ideally some big flowering evergreen. And I would do a bed with perennials in front of it (out of your yellow area, starting where the slabs are and curving towards those tree stumps). I would add some colourful flowers under the shed window.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 789
    edited 23 April
    Those are lovely @AuntyRach ! Inspires me to get a collection of acers. I'd hesitate to plant them in the ground those in case I move house - I'd want to take them with me!
    Here's my palmatum katsura:

I don't know how old it is, but I paid £7.50 for it in September last year. Autumn colours were stunning, spring leaves popping out were lovely too and now it's golden with red tinged leaves. Beautiful. I want to take a cutting and multiply it, just need to do a a bit more research on where to take it from.