Beginner Remaking Front Garden

Hi everyone, I want to remake my front garden but I've never designed a garden before. I live in Western Australia and the area I'm planting in is facing South, which is partly-shaded. It is about a 3m x 3m area and there is some paving in the middle which I'd rather not remove.

Here is a basic look:

I use the section below the raised area as an extra parking spot and the bush that wraps around the side is owned by the council so I won't be touching either of these.

Anyway I'm not really sure what I could do with this bed, whether I should add a lot or keep it simple and the path in the middle makes it more troublesome. I'd appreciate any ideas or advice you'd be willing to share.. I do have an idea but I don't know if it would look good.

I was thinking of bordering the path with some tulips and wallflowers, adding some small plants (maybe annuals like marigolds) in the front with a small tree/tall shrub to add some height. Then planting 2 tall bushes either side of the window with smaller bushes underneath the window to avoid covering it up and filling in extra space with low-growing perennials that would help match a colour scheme.

TLDR: Want to rip out old garden and replace it with just about anything other than lawn. Don't want to block window or path. Please throw me some suggestions.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,339
    edited 22 April
    This is a UK based forum, with a few contributors who live elsewhere, so we are not accustomed to the conditions you have to deal with.  You can probably grow lots of plants that we can't.

Tulips, wallflowers and marigolds we know well, and if your neighbours can grow them, you probably can.  If by marigolds you mean Calendula officinalis, you only have to sow them once, they will selfseed for evermore.  Some tulips will flower year after year, some will fizzle out after a year or two, so if you don't want to buy new every year, make sure you get the ones marketed as species or perennial tulips.  Wallflowers may also be biennial or perennial.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,779
    @Pat E is one of our Australian members, she may be able to help.
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 8,095
    Let me think about it tomorrow Mortuus. It’s bed time now and I’m tired.

im in the Snowy Mountains region of NSW, so rather different to your region. I have lived in other regions,  but need to think about your situation with a clear head. 
    S. E. NSW
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 8,095
    Serves me right to think about your problem when I was going to sleep Mortuus. Now I can’t stop thinking about your question.😁😁 and am awake again.

questions - are you in the Perth area? I know you’ve had snow on the Stirling Ranges this week, but assume you don’t have my gardening problems. I’m 8000m above sea level whereas Perth is coastal.
    bulbs like Tulips, don’t flower for very long and need to be replaced.
    you have a very fine Botanical Garden nearby which would be worth wandering through in different seasos to see which plants flower at which seasons. Also you could talk to some of the gardeners for ideas.
    Is your garden on a nature strip or in your yard?
    Etc.etc.
    let me know if I can help.
    S. E. NSW
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,779
    Sorry @Pat E , didn't mean for you to miss out on your sleep. :blush:
  • Mortuus16Mortuus16 Posts: 3
    Pat E said:
    Serves me right to think about your problem when I was going to sleep Mortuus. Now I can’t stop thinking about your question.😁😁 and am awake again.

questions - are you in the Perth area? I know you’ve had snow on the Stirling Ranges this week, but assume you don’t have my gardening problems. I’m 8000m above sea level whereas Perth is coastal.
    bulbs like Tulips, don’t flower for very long and need to be replaced.
    you have a very fine Botanical Garden nearby which would be worth wandering through in different seasos to see which plants flower at which seasons. Also you could talk to some of the gardeners for ideas.
    Is your garden on a nature strip or in your yard?
    Etc.etc.
    let me know if I can help.
    Hey Pat, sorry if I'm keeping you awake I'm currently at work. I live a bit south of Perth so ye very close to the coast. I haven't heard of the Botanical garden, I'll definitely check it out and this garden is my front yard. It's still fairly new property so most of the soil around here is brickies sand tbh.
  • Mortuus16Mortuus16 Posts: 3
    josusa47 said:
    This is a UK based forum, with a few contributors who live elsewhere, so we are not accustomed to the conditions you have to deal with.  You can probably grow lots of plants that we can't.

Tulips, wallflowers and marigolds we know well, and if your neighbours can grow them, you probably can.  If by marigolds you mean Calendula officinalis, you only have to sow them once, they will selfseed for evermore.  Some tulips will flower year after year, some will fizzle out after a year or two, so if you don't want to buy new every year, make sure you get the ones marketed as species or perennial tulips.  Wallflowers may also be biennial or perennial.
    Thanks for the info, gives me a good idea of what to look for. I've heard about the self-seeding marigolds before and it would be awesome to experiment with them. I'm still uncertain of how the design should be. Mainly the idea of a border in the middle of the yard.. Not sure if it's been done before or if it would look good and I'm not confident that I could fill all the empty space. Any recommendations on plants is a tonne of help though, thank you. It'll likely also give me some better ideas.