Wabi-sabi

hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,918
Came across this and definitely going to embrace it this year, and not just in the garden!

Wabi-sabi and seeing the beauty in imperfections

'There's an inspiring new way of looking at your garden which is good news for the more hands-off amongst us,' say the gardening enthusiasts at The Greenhouse People. 'Wabi-sabi – an acceptance of the natural cycle of growth, decay, and death – is nothing new for the Japanese who have been practicing this art since the 15th century, but for the Western world it couldn't be further away from the never-ending quest for perfection.'

The key here is 'balancing nature and nurture', so you're advised to 'sit back, relax and reflect on the beauty of your garden's natural imperfections'. Overgrown perennials, moss-covered stones, rusty iron gates and weathered pots are in keeping with this trend.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,613
    Great news - so now I can feel smug by being idle :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,518
    I think this is what I have been doing over the past couple of years,albeit unconsciously.
    Letting some weeds grow,not pruning so much and just generally seeing what happens in the garden.
    Also looking at nature all around.At the moment the uncut grass near houses is covered in daisies and dandelions.
    It is closely aligned to 'mindfulness' I think.
    As long as someone does not write a book about it to 'show' us how it should be done.
    Just look around and everywhere there is something to admire.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,850
    Every Japanese garden I have ever seen in the UK, Belgium, France or on TV from elsewhere in the world, including Japan, has always been about control freakery be it pruning, training, forming/deforming, raking, bonsai, moss balls, stone placement.............
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw