New Greenhouse - few ponderings

Hi,

Have been researching my first greenhouse and wondered what the thoughts are here on the types that have the curved eaves? Companies like Halls and Simplicity do them. Seems they're mainly glass but the curved sections are acrylic.
I presume that apart from the different style, the curved eaves give a little more height.

Does anyone have one of this style and, specifically, does anyone have the Simplicity Sherwood? If so, any comments, good or bad would be very useful to hear.

Also, do greenhouses usually lock or is that not common? The only company I can find that makes a specific reference to being lockable is Elite.

Vents and louvres - is there an optimum number or ratio i.e. same number of louvres to vents to ensure optimum airflow? I assume ideal quantity of vents depends somewhat on the GH size (I'm looking at a 6 x 8ft min but may try and squeeze in a slightly bigger one if poss). 

Finally, can anyone recommend a reliable, cost effective watering system for a GH that can be put in place for times when we're away?

Many thanks, All.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,613
    edited 22 April
    I had a small Hall's 6ft x 2ft with curved acrylic panes.
    I think they're used for aesthetic reasons. I thought that being acrylic they would soon go cloudy and yellow, but 9 years on and they're still almost completely clear.
    I gave the greenhouse to my neighbours a couple of weeks ago, as I've now got a bigger one.

Automatic windows are very helpful.
    I have a louvre at the end and both sides of my 10 x 8, and 6 top windows that open automatically.

I don't have an automatic watering system, so can't advise.

Get the biggest size you can, there's never enough space in a greenhouse.

PS - blinds are very useful too - especially last summer and the last few days
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,916
    I have an 8x8 Hartley Wisley - an investment by sure but I bought it for the increased height and the shape. And it's green. Windows on both sides, a louvred vent at the back and can be locked with a padlock. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Design BodDesign Bod Posts: 57
    Thanks for the replies and advice Both.

@Pete.8 - really helpful to know about the acrylic not discolouring and seems the more venting the better. What size have you got now? Did you stay with the curved design for added eaves height?

@hogweed, the Hartley Wisley GHs look like the Rolls Royce of GHs! Budget won't allow for my first one but maybe I can work up to one :)

I upgraded to a 10 x 8 Rhino Premium - and very pleased I did :)
    No curved panes, but both attractive and practical

@pete.8 That's a real thing of beauty! I was looking at the Rhino Classic and wondering if I could stretch the budget to that ... Have got the brochure and paint samples on their way and they have a sale on currenty ;) Can I ask what colour you went with, blends in very nicely.
    Also @Pete.8 what are those lovely tall flowers you have in the foreground? 
    Oh, and may I also ask where your smart cold frame came from? Is everything on a paved base? I read about a good base being paved centre path and earth / pea shingle on each side but my GH will be placed over soil which has a lot of very thuggish ferns popping up constantly and the shingle, even with membrane beneath, I don't think will keep them down. You're obviously happy with your base ?
    edited 22 April
    Thanks DB.
    The colour is Blue Grass which seems to blend in nicely.

The tall plants are Nicotiana Sylvestris - tobacco plant. Easy to grow from seed (I sowed some yesterday) and the scent in the evening is beautiful. They'll get to 6-7 ft by mid summer.

The cold frames are by Gardman. They were about £30 each when I bought them a couple of years ago, but seem to have increased - 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardman-08895-Wooden-Cold-Frame-Garden-Greenhouse-with-Polycarbonate-Glazing/132185714295?epid=582811941&hash=item1ec6e1ee77:g:mxIAAOSwdxFcWbiv

I had the whole area paved first, but I left a border of soil about 2ft x 8ft on one side of the greenhouse so I can grow tomatoes.

Thanks for all that very helpful info Pete, looks like you've planned it all out beautifully.  If only we didn't have the Jurassic Park ferns I'd love to do the same with the soil border. Will give it some more thought. Enjoy this sunny day pottering in your lovely greenhouse :)
    Thanks DB - always plenty to do this time of year.
    I did take a lot of time planning it all - it's a lot easier and cheaper to plan on paper than sort out problem once it's all installed.

Good luck with the planning, and I'm always happy to try and answer any questions.
    I'm off to potter...