Forum home Problem solving

Help...Nerine bulbs gone mouldy in pots....

I planted some nerine bulbs in pots about two weeks ago, and they didn’t appear to be doing anything despite the sunshine and watering. I got curious and and eased some out today and could see that they are mouldy. Even though I bought special bulb compost and added grit to the mix.

Bit gutted and disappointed (and losing confidence with my gardening skills...or lack of...)...what am I doing wrong please? Or what do I need to make sure that I do so bulbs grow and no5 go mouldy?

TIA

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    If they’ve gone squidgy as well it’s because they’ve had too much water,  nerines like it hot and dry. If they gone soggy there’s nothing you can do. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thank you. Think I’ve over watered it...but thought that’s not possible with the added grit in the compost and gravel layer at the bottom....live and learn....I m go8n* to have to clear both pots out...
    Are they soft and squidgy?

• Yes they are.....
    I’m afraid they’ve had it then.  
    I could send you some if you’d like to try again, they’re only the bog standard pink ones. 

• That s very kind of you to offer.

Mine were only bog standard pink bowdenii ones...no wait...they weren’t any old nerine bulbs....they were M&S nerine bulbs...still very annoyed though.
    That’s what mine are, if you let me know your address in a private message I’ll post some to you, how many do you want? 
    To post a PM you can click on my name and there’s the option to ‘Message’