Forum home Problem solving

Clematis nibbler?

BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
edited April 2019 in Problem solving
Sorry, I don't have a photo right now but I was wondering if anyone knows which beasties like to eat the tips of clematis buds (large flowered, the President) also making holes. I cannot see any slugs snails or earwigs around. I have been out 2 nights running and only seen a few ants. Any ideas? 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    It probably is slugs, snails or earwigs.   They are very cunning about it.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I had an issue with my rose buds being eaten clean off. So i looked up youtube videos and make a strong chilli and garlic paste which i put on my buds. It put the pest right off them. 
  • Made*
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Hmmm that's a thought Tiny, might try that. Strangely, slugs and snails are thin on the ground here. I have no idea why, especially snails. I have only seen about 4/5 in almost 3 years and only ever a few small slugs under rocks. Earwigs have been a problem before so I suspected them but haven't seen them either. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,172
    edited April 2019
    Snails hide ... then at night they pop out and shin up the clematis stems (stripping the bark as they climb) and then feast on the buds. Naughty 🐌 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    I think I just found the culprit, a moth caterpillar. I threw him in the field behind us, can't bring myself to squish it. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,537
    I don’t have many snails, either and not spotted a slug yet, bijdezee, but I do have problems with earwigs munching rose buds. Best check my newly planted clematis!