Forum home The potting shed

Where do people live... please talk with me!!🥰

• I do need to apologise for my delay in replying to you. Unfortunately, we had some sad news but coming here and hearing from you and talking garden has really lifted my spirit!! It’s 1am, I really must get some sleep but I will reply to everyone tomorrow. Sorry again I disappeared on you but I am looking forward to speaking to you all much more in around 8-10 hours.😂😂 🥰🥰😘😘
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,915
    welcome to the forum , Sorry  you have had sad news  ,I find coming on a forum such as this really does help.I also take a walk round my garden planning and reorganising .
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,507

I hope I didn't pressurize you Mummynature. I hope you slept well, sorry about the sad news.

We are off to OH's cottage in Norfolk tomorrow. I hope my new plants there have survived the dry weather. I expect the garden here in SW France will be like a jungle when we get back.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Hello @Busy-Lizzie

mmm France I adore France especially southern France where the old vintage houses are dotted about the countryside. I keep meaning to visit again but having 3 young children means pure boredom for them with pure paradise for me!! 

Is your plan to sell and move to UK permanently? You sound like you have two beautiful houses. Perhaps share some pictures when you get the chance? I can dream!! 🥰🥰🥰

i will look into the chats you have mentioned thank you and speak soon. 😘😘

Hello @Topbird you also live in a beautiful part of the country!! We are desperate for rain too though and I cannot believe I am saying this!! It has not rained at all here for (must be over 10 days!) apparently we are forecasted torrential downpours from tonight!! I hope my newly sprouting peonies and clematis will be ok!!

wow!! 50 perennials??? Which ones did you get?? 

I have planted many seeds seeds this year for the first time ever!!

Gaura The bride
    larkspur
    cosmos
    tomatoes
    strawberries
    sunflowers Titan for my children.
    5 types of poppies including ladybird for my children.
    delphinium
    snap dragons
    gazania
    busy lizzie for my friends 
    begonia for my neighbour who adores them and he lets me use his greenhouse all year round so it my thank you to him.  
    aquilegia For next year
    And much more but many if my seeds are self harvested from last year and local parks! I am unsure how successful they will be, but I am hoping!! 

I absolutely adore vigorous climbers... I have sown Inkspots Morning glory
    Cup & saucer Purple & ivory
    Spanish flag (inspired due to Monty a few weeks back... think it was episode 2 or 3!!) I fell in love with the annual climbers that they presented!! 

But it I am desperately trying to find a few established purple bell flower climber plants or seeds to plant now before it’s too late!!

what are you favourites? Speak soon.

Hello @islander or is it appropriate to say.. top ov da mornin’ tu ya???

You too sound like you’re in a little paradise!! I can’t wait to see pictures!! Sounds blissful!! 
    I too am disabled. I have varying mobility and an excruciating condition or 5 due to a rare syndrome I suffered in Dec 2010 named Guillian Barre Syndrome. Shook our world to say the least. I am 42 years young now and we have adjusted but my garden is my safe haven. My healer and keeps me active and moving. It’s definitely a passion of its own but gives me a lot more that no amount of medicine or doctor can!! 

Finding a social network (here) has been priority for me to talk and explore more options, tips do I can learn!! I don’t get out and about a lot but none of my friends are garden obsessed like me so I need you guys!! 😂😂😂

you say you know my area very well? Did you live up here?

speak very soon🥰🥰

Hello @Lizzie27 thank you for taking the time to reply to me. Bath is also a lovely part of the country!! You are so lucky!! I presume always (and perhaps wrongly) that your southern weather is a lot warmer than here in the North West of England!! I would love to move down south... perhaps when I reach retirement age???

i suffer arthritis too (both types) so I have to be careful!! My back is a particular nuisance and I hate that I can’t dig dig dig to cultivate my garden without help and get frustrated on my ‘bad’ days!! Although getting out into the fresh air and soaking up some sunshine makes me feel a lot better!! 

Please please offer me some advice on clematis!! I absolutely adore them all (I love climbers as you may have noticed!!) but these plants are not my friend!! They never thrive yet I see neighbours with huge specimens covering their sheds and pergolas!! I am desperate to learn! I have 6 (3 ready to plant out from last year still in pots) and 3 already planted in my border. They are spindly and although this is the 3rd season for them, they don’t seem to grow vigorously!! Please help!! I chopped some down to lowest area on 3 of them at end of autumn and they are coming up better but still not what I would say thriving!! What do I do wrong?

speak very soon. 🥰🥰

Hi @josusa47 we had a caravan not far from you a few years back. I have visited snowdonia and the little railway many times!! It’s beautiful!! Although the tunnel running straight through the mountain to get into wales isn’t my favourite!! 😂😂😂 gives me the jeebies!!!🤪🤪🤪

I fail hugely with Dahlias but can’t recall pelargoniums (must look then up in a second!!) I never imagined you could leave dahlia tubers in ground over winter!! I have been in Wales where it’s torrential rain and bloody cold!! 

My hydra has changed colour this year!!

my fushow’s are doing well but sadly I killed my Thalia thinking it was hardy (left it in my pot all winter outside) and it’s not showing any sign of coming back yet!! I am hoping by protecting it in my greenhouse and talking to it might help!! 😆😆😆

we are an old coal mining village so I don’t think your thriving plants do as well in my soil???

speak really soon.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,116
    Hi MN , No haven't noticed any smoke but seen on the news , been a few moorland fires round here over the past couple of weeks and I didn't notice them either.

Looks like your a new keen gardener especially with all the seeds you've sown . Don't get your hopes up with begonia they can take forever to get going, I started begonia on the 3rd of January and they are still small plug plant size. Busy lizzie seeds can be a bit erratic during germination.

Busy Lizzie ( forum member ) has some beautiful pictures of her french garden on the Garden Gallery along with everybody else photos of their beautiful gardens. 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,210
    Hi MN - as you can see from the header, I'm not far from you either.  Just over the border in West Yorks.  NE facing garden on a steepish slope, lots of rain and quite a lot of shade... veg are not very successful apart from sugar peas and courgettes, but raspberries love the conditions, and so do blueberries.  Clematis can be slow to get going here but do ok in the end.  Many like their feet in the shade and their heads in the sun.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,191
    I'm in North London on heavy, neutral clay; narrow, north facing terrace, about three metres wide. I have spent five years or so improving the front and back garden with many tonnes of manure, bagged compost and homemade. As both gardens are small, this hasn't been too bad. I'm mostly interested in growing year round colour, cut flowers, and encouraging wildlife. I feel very lucky to have an outside space in London (or a house at all, for that matter).

I am going over to more low maintenance, drought tolerant, perennial planting, having spent some years experimenting with all sorts. My ideal is to be able to travel and have the garden look after itself more. Which is starting to happen. I have no grass to cut and now many fewer pots, so I'm getting there.

My front garden looks best in spring (wallflowers, fgmns, bulbs, hellebores etc). My back garden looks best from late summer (sunflowers, umbellifers, roses, cosmos, coreopsis).
  • I live on a flood plain in Shropshire, so mine is a garden of two halves -- the bottom half floods when the Severn is up but the top half stays dry. The soil under the floody part is magnificently rich (looks like crumbly chocolate cake) and anything that likes moisture does well in it. I have damson trees which produce pounds and pounds of fruit most years (we make a good supply of damson gin/vodka each autumn). The top half is closer to the house and a bit starved, no matter how we try to nourish it up. By trial & error I've found that onions, brassicas and soft fruit do well. Beans less so, except Cherokee Trail of Tears which seem to thrive anywhere. As for hungry plants such as courgettes, tomatoes & squashes, forget it (I put them into grow bags instead).

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,538
    @MUMMYNATURE - I find with clematis that it does help to buy decent plants in the first instance as they tend to establish  better sooner. Do you know if your soil is acid as this may be why they are not thriving - clematis tend to do better on alkaline soil. Also, most clematises (not all) like to be deeply planted, well watered and fed. It helps to know what group your clematis falls into as the pruning times can be different. Hope this helps.
  • comp13comp13 NorthamptonPosts: 56
    Hi guys, how come commercial farmers don’t need to support peas and we do in our gardens. I’m asking because my OH really hates the job of building the pea supports and he says every year we are not planting peas next year. I have to do it and I wanna know if there is an easier cheaper way. Thanks 
    Amateur vegetable gardener with dreams of a bigger garden one day.