Forum home The potting shed

Where do people live... please talk with me!!🥰

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,122
    Hi,

I am in North Wales, on the west coast, in a small village south of Caernarfon.
    It can be very mild as @josusa47 said but we are a bit more exposed to the Atlantic winds. It can be windy and rainy.
    My soil is sandy, stony and poor but it has been significantly improved with compost and because the area is so wet, it rarely gets too dry. It is quite acidic, ericaceous plants do very well here. Our tap water comes from Snowdonia mountains and is also acidic and very soft.

I've learnt gardening basics (mostly veg growing) from my grandmother who lives in Prague, Czech Republic, a completely different climate (typically continental) and soil (fertile clay/loam). It can be quite fun to talk about gardening with her. But I've learnt more about perennials and flower gardens only here in the UK and in English :) so there is often a language barrier (I know some plant names in Czech only, some in English only, for most plants I know the Latin name and English name but don't know the Czech name). Also, many plants that are grown here aren't grown there because of the climate.
    I recently talked about camellias with my mother who is in Izera mountains (north of the Czech Republic, colder winter than Prague, milder summer, poor acidic soil) and she told me camellias aren't grown there. I guess the winter temperatures (possibly -15°C) would kill them.
  • Jason millyJason milly Posts: 546
    How do you set profile to show location. 
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057

Jason milly go onto the cog far right click and second option is adjust profile click and you can add from there.
    I did that Dee73 but when I tap save it says I don't have permission. 
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    Jason milly, That's strange I just checked mine again and it works. There must be someone you can contact. Maybe someone on here will know who and how. Just had a look have you tried view profile then clicking on the small square with an arrow and a profile picture.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,951
    It does that sometimes, try again did you get to this page to add it.  Sometimes you need to log out then back in again. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Yes got to that page Lyn, I logged out and back in now when I try to save it it comes up red that my user name has to have 2 to 20 letters and numbers, no worries about it it doesn't make any difference I just thought to add it. 
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 11,073
    South east NSW
    S. E. NSW
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,508
    What happened to @MUMMYNATURE ? I thought she wanted to talk.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Hello. Thank you so so much for taking the time to reply to me. Reading all your news has brightened my day!! Thank you. 😘😘

@B3 Thank you I will take a look. I am new here ;as you guessed!!😂) and still trying to figure out where to post correctly! 

@Dovefromabove Hello! Lovely to hear from you. I will check out the potting shed. 🥰

@Perki Hello!! I live in a dorma bungalow!! 😂😂
    I love Rossendale and no we are not that far from one another. We were affected by the moor fires this weekend again!! First idiot was a young arsonist and this fire just over Uppermill was an irresponsible disposable BBQ owner!! The smoke was billowing everywhere yesterday and viability was impaired markedly. I know a lot of smoke blew over toward far Rochdale... did you smell or see any?
    i hope to speak to you again soon. 😘😘

I will post this reply and continue before I lose all my typing!! 😂😂😂🥰