Where do people live... please talk with me!!🥰

Hi everyone,

I would like to know where you reside? I am interested in seeing the difference of plant growth and survival dependent on where we all live!

I live in Greater Manchester in a small village valley named Shaw. We are just at the edge of Saddleworth Moors and The Pennines, we see a lot of wet and windy weather. I am quite high up! My rear garden is rather exposed and South South West Facing.

i am searching for like minded people who would talk and chat to me regularly about gardening and nature because quite frankly none of my friends love it like I do!!

i really hope you will find the time to reply and talk about our gardens!! Thank you in advance. MumNat
x x x

• B3B3 Posts: 10,536
    You'll find lots of people to chat to here. Have a look in the potting shed section, join in or start your own threads
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,662
    Hello and welcome aboard 😊 
    You’ll find that many of us put the approximate location of our gardens in our Profile, so it shows up when we post as mine does. This is also helpful when we are answering queries because as you say so much depends on ‘weather’.  Of course some folk prefer to keep their location private and that’s fine as well 
    Have a look in the Potting Shed for chat, both gardening and non-gardening. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,626
    I live in a House  ;) 

Shaw not to for away from me, just the other side of rochdale. Similar condition here in Rossendale. Easy to grow moister loving plants .
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,880
    edited 21 April

Hello MumNat.

Not everyone likes to say where they live on a public forum. Some will mention just the county or north or south.

I live in SW France, Dordogne. I have thin, but clay, alkali soil on top of limestone rock. Over the years I have added a lot of manure and compost. I have a large garden which I have planted English country style, not always easy here as the summers tend to be hotter and the winters colder.

My OH has a cottage in Norfolk, we go there quite often. We were both widowed and he was moving back to England when I met him. Bit complicated. His grandchildren are in the UK and mine are in France. The climate in Norfolk is dryer than most parts of the UK and the soil is dark, deep and sandy, much lighter and easier to work with than my soil in France, but I add compost to help stop it drying out. So I'm lucky in that I have two gardens, but I would rather live in England and have one. My French house is for sale but that can take years in France. You can guess what I think about Brexit  :'( 

I have been posting on this forum for years. For chat I go to Hello Forkers, there are other threads for chat too.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,052
    edited 21 April
    I live in the driest part of the country (Suffolk) and am always banging on about needing rain for the garden. (But we really do this year - no proper sustained rain in 12 months).

My soil is heavy, flinty clay so an awful lot of time has been spent digging stuff into the soil to make it less like a slippery mud bath in winter, concrete in the summer and to improve water retention. 7 years on there are signs of improvement...

Keep trying to kid myself I'm trying to make the garden lower maintenance - that will only really happen when I stop buying plants. Bought 50 perennials the other day...🤭
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,729
    Hello, welcome to the forum. 
    I live in Bath, Somerset on the side of a valley which occasionally gets high westerly winds straight off the Bristol Channel. Our garden mainly faces south and although clay underneath has been cultivated for many years so is not too bad. I love herbaceous perennials, roses and clematis but am thinking of simplifying the workload as arthritis getting worse.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,411
    I live in Llandudno, on the north Wales coast.  We have the second mildest climate in the uk, beaten only by somewhere in Dorset.  This means we get hardly any frost and snow, but we do get high winds at times, and our summers are more warm than hot.  Our soil is mostly clay on a limestone outcrop, pH 7.5-8.0, but our mains water comes from inland so is soft. Hydrangeas, agapanthus and fuchsia hedges do well, and we can leave our pelargoniums and dahlias in the ground all year round.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Hi Mum Nat we live on the south coast recently moved into a large open plan penthouse flat overlooking the beach and sea we have a number of medium sized balcony's to the bedrooms and large sun terrace, pots and trough's with various sub tropical planting.

I also have an allotment the soil is reasonable and fertile about 18 inches deep with the old gravel river/seabed below this so water retentive but free draining.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,629
    Hi! I live on the edge of the Pennines too, but south of Manchester, in Cheshire, and my garden is around 1200ft above sea level and hardly any of it is flat!  Some is very well drained and some is very boggy, we have a stream and 2 ponds.
    Back faces SSE and plenty of wind and rain here too usually, though would actually be glad of some rain here right now to help the grass grow faster. We have pet sheep and they are hungry for more grazing! They give us plenty of manure to help the acidic clay/loamy soil along though :)
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,544
    Hi MummyNat

We live on the Surrey/Hampshire border, in woodland.  We are warmer than you, but are in a frost pocket, which has its challenges.

Happy to talk about gardening all day, every day, but like you don’t have many friends who share that interest.  This Forum is great for filling that gap 👍🏻.  Look forward to seeing you around 😀
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.