Tomato plants

widgetwilk annwidgetwilk ann North NorfolkPosts: 160
Tomato plants I bought as plug plants look OK!!! but do you think I ought to nip the growing shot, the two at the back don't look to healthy but might be alright, they are in greenhouse.  

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,997
    I'd let them settle. Plenty of time to correct anything later.
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,610
    What variety are they?
    Most toms are grown as cordons so you don't pinch the tops out, but train the stem up a cane or support.
    Some varieties naturally grow as bushes, but either way tops are not usually pinched out unless there's a problem with the growing tip of the plant
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • widgetwilk annwidgetwilk ann North NorfolkPosts: 160
    Thanks, they were the 6 free plants offer in April Gardens World Magazine, I plan to put them in bigger pots and keep in greenhouse, the Tumbling one I might try in a hanging basket, they are
    Gardens Delight, Bite Size, Beefmaster, Moneymaker, Shirley
    Some nice varieties there (I don't rate Moneymaker at all though..)
    Shirley is a great tom. Easy to grow and good size fruits with a good tomato taste.
    Gardener's Delight has been around forever and with good reason.
    I've not grown the other 2.
    No need for any pinching of the tops - the tumbler will tumble, and the rest will grow up a cane.
    With the exception of the tumbler, you'll need to pinch off the side shoots when they start to appear, so you just have a single stem growing up whatever you choose to support them (usually a strong bamboo cane)
    Thanks Peter 8, will leave then as they are and keep talking and watering them, when big enough will put in larger pots with canes,the tumbler in a basket.
    Best of luck Ann - any concerns along the way let us know and I'm sure we'll be able to help.
    Thanks a lot, great site, always helpful and puts your mind at rest,
    thanks again XX