Forum home Plants

Freesias!

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,668
Managed to grow these an the unheated polytunnel, Didn’t think they would succeed, but thrilled they have! I have some pale lemon ones too, that are yet to flower. Anyone else grow freesias? 

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,798
    I planted some two or three years ago. Always get some leaves come up a bit half-heartedly (to be fair to the freesias, it's a difficult spot), so I'd given up on them and left them to it. But I have flower buds! Not a lot, but given the poor spot and zero care, I'm delighted. Only enough for a single vase, I would think, but I shall cut them and bring them in and think of my mum.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,302
    Being Greek I absolutely love them...but haven't been particularly successful in growing them. But keep trying ;) 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,909
    I can’t grow them either, this year they flowered but I’ve had them for about 4 years. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    Put some in the last year before last and got nothing then forgot about them. This year just two came up out of 10.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,668
    I grew them to remind them of my mum too, LG, she is still with us but I don’t get to see her very often. I thought it was too risky to grow them in the ground, but interesting to hear them now flowering in the UK. These were planted in a pot a few months ago, I hear they like a bit of heat and didn't think they would have enough. You have encouraged me to try some in the ground next year!