Forum home Problem solving

mystery roots

I made a cutting garden, a few years back,a   couple of years ago, this plant appeared, bright green leaves a bit like a large parlsey or coriander, no flowers, every year its got bigger.  I dug it out earlier this year (or so I thought!) the underground roots are cream edged with pink, and HUGE, some 6 inches in diameter,they go under everything else in the bed.  They have a very slight lemony sort of smell, unfortunately, I dont have any means of putting a picture on here, and havent kept them.  Hubby thinks its "something" I have planted in there.  The only thing I ever planted, they didnt come up were 3 chrysanthimums from Sarah Raven, but the leaves are nothing like that.He said leave them and see what came up, but they were taking over the whole bed, smothering everything else.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    If you have no pics do you have a crystal ball we could borrow?  Think that’s the best option ... 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,467
    I'm only hazarding a guess here @Nanny Beach but could it be cow parsley? That forms a huge tap root.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    Going with Ladybird's suggestion, could it be Anthriscus sylvestris "Ravenswing" ?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    Cow parsley round here has flowers.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    definitely not ravenswing, have got that in another part of the garden, no, not cow parsely either, not tall enough, and no flowers, yes, Dove, I know i was asking for a miracle, but I thought as it was Easter!!!!  I did ask my daughter about taking pics, she said she needed the cable (which she didnt have) from her phone to the PC.  I got all ecited yesterday(doesnt take much) neighbour was saying about his parsnips seeding everywhere, leaves looked similar, but of course the roots and leaves just smell of parnsips, not lemon like mine.
    Actually, I DO have a crhystal ball, in my bedroom windowsill!   Honestly.
    😂 miracles eh!?!?!?!

It’s a plant ... it must have flowers of some sort... keep watching and then get your daughter and her cable so we can see a pic. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Just a thought ... what about Lovage 

https://tamarorganics.co.uk/product/lovage-p

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,013
    Be careful with any glass on a sunny window sill. They can act as a magnifying glass and start a 🔥
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    deffo no flowers ever Dove, daughter, not sure when she will next be up, shes an 80 mile round trip, and at work, (I had the grandkids for the school holiday) she collected them on Friday.