Any ideas?

Just got some out of control Leylandii trees removed.

Looking for some inspiration

Not sure of the length but I think it's about 14 foot wide

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,220
    A new fence would be a good start, budget permitting.  The trees will have drained the soil of nutrients, so dig in as much organic material as possible.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,928
    Gosh,  you’ve got a job on there, I think, if you don’t mind, Could I copy your photo as a lesson to posters thinking of planting Leylandii, this is what they grow like, I can see how wide they were by the dead ground around them, taken up half the garden and had the fence down! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,895
    cancell your gym memberships, you will be super fit, by the time you have tackled that area!I think you should get as much of the stumps removed as possible, then sort out that fence.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,469
    Assuming that fence is yours, l would certainly start with replacing it. If not some form of disguise is required !
    Are you planning to leave the stumps in situ, or will they be ground out? As Josusa says, that soil is going to need a lot of compost etc. added.
    It looks like a very sunny site, what sort of planting would you like?  Shrubs, perennials, vegetables ?
    It seems quite a bit lower than the lawn, maybe raised beds ?
  • dave.smithdave.smith Posts: 6
    Lyn said:
    Gosh,  you’ve got a job on there, I think, if you don’t mind, Could I copy your photo as a lesson to posters thinking of planting Leylandii, this is what they grow like, I can see how wide they were by the dead ground around them, taken up half the garden and had the fence down! 
    You can use the photo for non commercial use
    The garden is in Scotland so not we are not used to good weather. Hence my reluctance to spend lots of money. 

A fence is expensive. Never bothered with what is there when the trees covered it.

Could cover the main area with stones. Railway sleepers to edge off the grass. Thought about some small plants to hide the fence. 

Would like a nice sitting area with perhaps 3x3 or 4x4 slabs and a seat. 

Also thought about 2-3 of VegTrug Medium Raised Bed Planters. 

No idea about plants. Never done anything like this before. 

Even a Zen style garden would also be nice.

AnniD said:
    Assuming that fence is yours, l would certainly start with replacing it. If not some form of disguise is required !
    Are you planning to leave the stumps in situ, or will they be ground out? As Josusa says, that soil is going to need a lot of compost etc. added.
    It looks like a very sunny site, what sort of planting would you like?  Shrubs, perennials, vegetables ?
    It seems quite a bit lower than the lawn, maybe raised beds ?
    Covering the fence is my favoured option (cheapest £)

Sun - Not much as it's usually raining (Scotland)

Could go for 2-3 VegTrug Medium Raised Bed Planters or similar.

I know nothing about plants :(  ( so far)
    cancell your gym memberships, you will be super fit, by the time you have tackled that area!I think you should get as much of the stumps removed as possible, then sort out that fence.
    Might need the money for the chiropractor to fix my back!

Thought the stumps could be incorporated. May just burn them out. 

The fence is annoying, Trying not to go down that route. (£) 
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
    What is that hedge behind the fence? If it’s something that will grow back to cover the bare wood then that might solve all your problems, and not cost a penny 
    Jellyfire said:
    What is that hedge behind the fence? If it’s something that will grow back to cover the bare wood then that might solve all your problems, and not cost a penny 
    Unfortunately it won't