Water for 🐝 bees!

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,795
Just a quick reminder in this warm weather to put down a saucer somewhere among the flowers with a few stones in it and some water for insects to drink. I did this today and within 10 minutes a bee and a wasp had used it. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,450
    Thanks for the reminder Debs, l will put one out tomorrow .
  • I will tomorrow. Thank you i have learnt something new.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 748
    They usually go to my birdbath but we have put in a small pond and the paper wasps have cottoned on already. 
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,147
    I think it is a given but pays to remind everyone :)
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,795
    I made a couple in my daughters garden yesterday and it reminded me. I hate to think of anything being thirsty. Would love a birdbath but I need a really tall one as I have 2 cats, they wouldn’t bother to catch birds but obviously the birds don’t know that! 
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 309
    Done, thank you for the reminder @debs64
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,325
    Done, thanks, Debs
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,450
    edited 21 April
    Have kept the water topped up. Am thinking maybe l should supply a smoking lounge....
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/notre-dame-fire-bees-survive-drunk-smoke-paris-cathedral-france-a8878231.html
    Good news about the bees !  :)
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 850
    I was using the pressure washer on garden furniture and had just unplugged the hose before winding up the power lead. In that short space of time, seconds really, there was a honey bee straight on to the inlet spigot where there was an enticing drop of water hanging. 

I found that they seem to like muddy water like in trays of old compost which fill up with water. I leave a couple around the garden now and they always draw a crowd.