Forum home The potting shed

Why can't I stop buying plants?!

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,113
    Me trying to figure out how to fit three Thalictrum 'Black Stockings' I just bought into my existing (full!) borders... 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,523
    I'm in the same boat. My neighbours must watch me circling the garden muttering to myself. Three delavayi Album, but where to put them? Something has to give.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,383
    edited 5 April
    Can't you just buy one instead of three?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • SamBevingtonSamBevington NW StaffordshirePosts: 133
    Oops!! Just updated my list of plants I have in the GHs  (Saddo keeps  a spreadsheet) ....789 and that doesn't include the seeds planted!!
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,113
    It would have looked lonely by itself, B3... I'm in the habit of buying in 3's so things can either be repeated or planted to form a larger clump. These Thalictrum will probably get dotted in amongst other things and just hope that they don't take up too much room.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,383
    One is easier to hide😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,468
    @sam bevington you are not alone.  I have a spreadsheet that records purchases, another that lists all the plants in the garden and where they are planted, another that records seeds sown, how they germinate and how many potted on and I also keep a book that reminds me what to do when and another sketch book with drawings of all my beds and where the plants are.  I know it's lunacy but I can't help it. 
    Regarding actually buying plants.  Went to get a couple of grow bags for the toms and cues and ended up buying a lovely viola and a bleeding heart plus an obelisk and I had to give myself a good talking too as I was about to put another wisteria into the trolley.  I have already killed two, the third is looking quite sick and I promised myself I would not murder another one. 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
    B3 said:
    Can't you just buy one instead of three?

Is this an existential question, @B3?
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,852
    I would love to be organised enough to make (and maintain) a plant spreadsheet! I've started putting some things into the RHS "My Plants" thingy, but I'm not at all sure that I'll ever get it fully populated or keep it up to date.
    edited 5 April
    Luckily (?) I have come much closer to maxing out the space in my small garden, so I have have to slow down and really consider plant buying and propagating very carefully. There just isn't space to put things. These days something has to come out in order to put something else in. Yes, I am considering taking up more of the patio. And moving house. :D