Forum home The potting shed

Why can't I stop buying plants?!

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,870
    They are very clever with their multi-buy discounts, this was four for ten pounds. I would have just bought three plants, but then you have to buy something else to make it up to ten pounds, and then you want a couple more of that plant, and so on. And I start telling myself why agonize about it; we're talking about the cost of 1 and a half takeaways. Which would make sense if I had any intention of not having any more takeaways this month 😂
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,704
    I can’t stop buying plants either, but I do have large immature borders to fill, so far I find places for most things. I buy online as 9cm pots and grow them on too (dearth of choice at local GCs) but sometimes I make mistakes/change my mind so am left holding the babies. The odd time I do see something in a GC I like, can’t resist, then its ‘oh god where can I put this’!
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 869
    The problem I have is even with limited space, you can always just buy more pots.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    edited April 2019
    WillDB . So sorry can't answer your question.
    The good news is....
    You are happily beyond hope, now don't you dare buy another superfluous plant until you get that Acer.

I find it hard to plant things out because I am afraid they will get damaged. All that nurturing and care to get eaten by something or squished.
    I do buy things with a place in mind,  only trouble is that is where they stay, until I get fed up with moving things in and out of shade or shelter.

Some are impulse buys to a degree, when I am out if I see a plant or name I recognize having researched them for some reason, especially if I think it is a good buy or something I can bring on, I will get them. 
    The worst biggest spends are when my other half has encouraged me. I still can't believe my luck :D
    Though I do have a conscience and try to show some restraint. o:)
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,899
    Last May we went to a plant-fair at Pottertons Nursery in N.Lincs ; knowing full well that the garden is full to maximum capacity , why did we come home with thirty-two new plants ???
    Ridiculous really ! ;)
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,940
    My daughter took me to Jekka's Farm for a Mothering Sunday treat - big mistake! And I am usually quite frugal, must have been the lovely herb tea we had  :)
    Haven't been anywhere for over five months but I'm here and I'm mostly happy
    To add to the problem, I'm addicted to propagating. 
  • lilysillylilysilly Posts: 497
    @WillDB propagating is addictive, I agree. Yesterday my dog broke a couple stems of verbena bonariensis chasing a blackbird, I couldn't bare to compost it so potted them as cuttings. I have little plants growing well from cuttings taken from sideshoots with a heal  from a bunch of flowers given to me back in February. Then there are the twenty or so baby  hellebore plants, now in 9cm pots that self seeded under one of my favourite hellebore. I had to rescue them this year because last year's seedlings I left in situ to grow all disappeared. 
    I do donate a lot of plants to a charity plant sale in May which always sells out completely. It's just so rewarding to grow something for free (well apart from the compost) and to nurture them to a good size and see them flower.

• lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 331
    I have no problem with being a plant addict! I could spend (if I had that amount of money) hundreds of pounds on plants and bits for the garden. I never get bored looking around nurseries, garden centres. I don't last 10 minutes trying to shop for clothes etc. 
    Its a healthy addiction!! And the planet needs more greenery!!

I love V. bonariensis, I had no idea how easy it was from cuttings! And last year it seeded prodigiously into my paving cracks, I pulled them up and couldn't resist potting them up as well. It's good to have plants on standby as fillers.

Seems my best bet is making a new border - couple of sketches I did last night: