Forum home Problem solving

What do I do with my bulb lasagna ?

....when it finishes flowering?

First time I’ve planted a bulb lasagna last autumn and I ve been very happy with the results, but wondering what do I do with the pot of bulbs afterwards.

l’m hoping someone knowledgeable will tell me that I can just leave it and it will come back Year after year?

TIA. Thought I’d share a pic....

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,453
    edited April 2019
    It looks stunning. But you're probably best starting off with fresh compost as it'll be depleted now. If I were you I'd deconstruct the lasagne (after it all dies down) and either pop the bulbs in the ground or save them for next year. The anemone and daff will come back for sure, sometimes tulips don't flower as well in subsequent years. 
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 993
    That looks like one of those rare occasions where everything has worked out perfectly, tricky to do IME!

I'd be tempted to leave it personally for the sake of ease but depends if you can be bothered removing them all and storing them.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,864
    Give it a feed once a week with a teaspoonful of Phostrogen in a watering can full of water. The bulbs need building up between now and dying down to enable them to flower next year.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,907
    I would definitely plant the anemone into the garden or pots, and not try to keep those stored for a year. 
    With my daffs, I lift the whole lot out of the pots, the compost will probably stay with them, and put it all in a rolled down empty compost sack, make some holes near the base and store out of site until the green dies down, then you can store them for next year, which is something I forget to do most times, then just plant again in September. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thank you all for your wisdoms. I have two of these pots, I think being the lazy disorganised novice gardener that I am with limited space, I will feed them as suggested , let die down, plant out one of the pot of bulbs in the flower bed and then leave the other pot and see how they perform next year.