Another Before and After

YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,870
I've been revamping the front garden over the past couple of days, reshaping the lawn, removing weed membrane and getting rid of the gravel.  I now have a lovely new border to fill with plants.

I'm going to be looking for plants for an East facing garden that like light, well drained soil.  Any ideas.
Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,431
    That looks very good @Yviestevie. I can't help on plants I'm afraid as I have the opposite soil to you. My only thought is that a feature plant on the corner of the two paths might fit in well - something round and dumpy perhaps?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,766
    You've certainly done the work there @Yviestevie ! I am very envious of such a blank canvas. Are you thinking of perennials,  shrubs or a mixture? 
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,870
    I've actually bought a magnolia susan that I had thought of planting in that exact spot.  I haven't checked on the type of soil they like so I'll need to do that before I plant it.

A mixture.  I'm going to be spending some time checking out web sites.  Can't afford to do it all at once so it might be a bit of a slow process.  Hopefully I'll get some garden vouchers for my birthday to help with the project.
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 402
    @Yviestevie - Acidic to neutral soil for a Magnolia
    Oh thats good @Mr. Vine Eye mine is a touch on the acidic side of neutral, so it should be ok.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,975
    My Susan is in alkaline soil is over 20 yo so it will do fine.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,903
    looks gorgeous, but no advice, we are on heavy clay, somethinge scented, roses, are always lovelly
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,610
    It's lovely to see a front garden so cared for - giving pleasure to everyone who goes past. So many are just parking spaces these days. I understand why we need the car space but a proper front garden is fantastic.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    I know it's controversial but I personally would get rid of those awkward bits of grass you have created and go for one large boarder just thinking of all that fiddle mowing. 🐖

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog