Planting for the future

B3B3 Posts: 10,520
I love cedars and other massive trees but I don't event plant biennials.
Two years? You never know what's going to happen. Do  you ever plant things you might never see grow to maturity your lifetime?

Planting for the future 25 votes

Yes
96%
ObelixxLizzie27CebeBusy-LizzienutcutletPete.8Singing GardenerFishy65madpenguinMyosotis23herbaceousLG_SkandiFireTulip18Suesynlemon22JellyfireJulia1983Carly.S 24 votes
No
4%
Anna33 1 vote
Other
0%
In London. Keen but lazy.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,861
    Yes
    I put yes because when we bought this house we planted several trees, including a cedar, a copper beech, silver birch, horse chestnut. Didn't know how long we'd be here. That was 1991 and the trees are all pretty big now. It is a big garden.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,224
    Yes
    Yes, I let an Ash tree grow and is now about 10 years old. Our garden is quite small for such a potentially large tree so I'm either brave or stupid. As a species we need more trees if we are to survive.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Yes
    Over the years I have planted a number of native hedges and although I have seen some of the plants mature others like the Oak, Beech, Birch and Ash trees I have incorporated I will never see mature but I like to feel I have done my little bit.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • owd potterowd potter Posts: 101
    Yes
    Yes. We are but custodians..
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,520
    I suppose I would be more likely to plant for the unforeseeable future if i lived away from London, or any large town for that matter.
    The next person to move into your house here is just as likely to rase the whole thing to the ground to make an outside room or a low maintenance plastic garden.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,124
    Yes
    I vote yes. I don't mind if I don't see something in all its glory as long as someone does. If it is destroyed, reshaped in the future so be it - but if it isn't it will be living, growing and maybe appreciated.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,520
    Posts have made me begin to have a rethink. Gardening is all about hope isn't it?
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 617
    Yes
    Yes though I am (hopefully) young enough to see the befit of most of my trees the walnuts are less certain.
  • Myosotis23Myosotis23 Posts: 65
    Yes
    I wish I had planted a tree when we moved into our house having now lived here for over 30 years but I just didn't think that far ahead. My daughter has a beautiful walnut tree at the end of her garden, planted by the owner as a child (it's a rented property). I think gardening involves a lot of optimism that we will still be around when our plants grow.
    In a world where you can be anything, always be kind.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,464
    Yes
    I have planted a hedge of native shrubs. I am not in my forever home, so it will come into it's best 10-15 years from now, I think. I have a beech hedge planted maybe 20 years ago and it looks fab. I don't have room for big trees in this house, but I would love to have room plant oak trees - the ultimate symbol of a hopeful future.